This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nexus 7k/5k/2k hardware monitor support

Hey all,

I am about to open a ticket but would also like to hear what the community has to say about it. I found a few similar discussions here but they are a few years old and would like to revisit this topic. The hardware monitor is not picking up several components on our Nexus 7K/5K/2Ks. Hardware Health only shows temperature readings but not the power supplies and fans status, which are present on all of our other Cisco switches. I know we can pull the data using UnDP which would require a bit of MIB research but I imagine this would be a supported feature on the native hardware monitor. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Our specs -- NPM 10.5, Nexus 7010 NX-OS v6.1(4), Nexus 5020 NX-OS v5.0(3)N2(1)

• Please post ticket number and results when you get them.  Thx.

• Hi, I use NPM 10.6 and it is the same issue here, Only the tempreture is displayed and not the Power supply / FAN for any of NX-OS device.

• Very true and very frustrating!!!!! Been seeing only temperature except UNDP for our nexus for quite some time with no change in 10.7.

It's sad to see our network monitoring solution no longer able to monitor our network devices.

• I opened ticket number 553909 regarding this issue. Waiting for their reply..

• Last time I looked into the MIBs, there was not support for monitoring power supply or fan status.

When you find an OID that might give you your data, you can query the Nexus device to see if the OID is supported.

The first command to run is "show snmp internal oids supported create".  This creates a table of what OIDs are supported on that firmware.

Then you can run "show snmp internal oids supported" and looks for the specific OIDs that you're hoping to monitor.

• Did anything come of this?  We are using NPM 10.6.1, and on the NXOS some are 6.1(3), and some 6.2(2) and all we get with the hardware health polling is temperature also.

• Cisco's 4507, 4510, and the nexus do this.... in some cases they have moved to an 'enhanced mib table' as to prevent other entities from being able to easily poll/monitor their devices..  Why you say... so you buy Prime. The Cisco Way!

• This may come in handy... i Use tables to gather these... then you may need to edit or check the RowID's you want (http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3430)

5K & 2K  (5xxx and the FEX'es) info comes in with these tables.

Physical Info : 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2

Serial # (if applicable) : 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11

Power Status : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.2.1.2   (Does the entity have power for Power Supplies and other items)

Operational Status : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.2.1.1.2    Module has power (from above), but is it Operational ?

Fan Status : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.4.1.1.1  This will supply you the status of your Fan's and PS Fan's

For all of the above, Different Row ID's are used for different entities, Fans, PS'es, Module's, and not each Row will give you an Actual Power Status... and beyond that only Modules will give you the operational status... so you either make several Custom Table Polller Charts with the same pollers and different row ID... or put it all into one and remember there will be a few gaps... (once you get rid of the empty rows [as in no status] it is a lot cleaner and easy to read).

To get 7K Module Data use these (edit and pick out the Row ID's of each thousand. 1K, 2K, 3K, etc.)

Physical Info : 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2

Status : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.1.1.1.1.4   --- 2nd review.. this may not be the status that you really need here. I will continue to look into this.

• Are these OIDs polled already by the latest NPM release? Do we have to create UnDPs on this stillcahunt?

• i have still needed this as custom pollers in NPM 10.7 for nexus switches