This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Maximum LEM volume size?

What is the maximum size I can increase my LEM volume to for maximizing my log data retention?

• great question.  I'm about to face the same.  Also, what are the system recommendations for proc/RAM for more data if any?

• Prior to LEM version 5.6, the limit was 1TB. With version 5.6, the 1TB limit has been removed. The new limit is 2.2TB, which is the next most common barrier is 2.2TB, based on virtual infrastructure capabilities to address a single disk. This is according to http://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/product-blog/blog?start=45.

• Dang, I new there was a blog that covered that but I wasn't able to find it before asking the question here.  Thanks for pointing that out!

• So, after thinking about this I have a follow-up question...

What if you need to store more than 2.2TB worth of data to meet a data retention requirement?

• Here's an example related to PCI. PCI requires 90 days of logs online, with 365 available offline. In this scenario, make sure that you have a DB size that allows the 90 days to be online, plus a buffer, just to be sure. Then save your backups to have the 365 days offline available. In your question, you didn't elaborate on what your data retention requirements are, but this is an example.

If you have your DB size maxed out and still don't have enough room for your *online* data retention requirement, then you'll have to look at a couple of things. I would recommend exploring every option available to make certain that you're only logging what needs to be logged. Examine your Windows audit policy for instance (if you're in a Windows environment). As you probably know, one checkbox there can make a considerable difference in the number of events that get sent to LEM.

The only option I know of that would help you past the 2.2TB limit would be another complete LEM system. Then you would have some systems logging to one, and others logging to another. In your LEM console, you would be able to easily switch between the two LEM 'environments'. As I understand it, nDepth queries can be used to run against either DB, but filters can show traffic from both LEM systems simultaneously. I could be mistaken on those specific details.

• Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was expecting.  I am curious though, my understanding is that if you need to use one of those backups; when you restore it you will replace your current database with the backup, is that correct?

• Prior to 5.6, that was certainly the case. I believe there are other options available with version 5.6 because of the new database, but don't know the details.

• When you say 90 days online.  Your are referring to being able to query results via ndepth for up to 90 days correct?  For someone also in the PCI realm.  I would be interested in some of the industry standard best practices that others are leveraging with LEM.  We currently do a monthly archiveconfig, and weekly backupconfigs and logbackupconfigs.

It would also be helpful for an actual list of audit policies to enable, this being my first time at the rodeo regarding PCI.  For example they say Object Access "Success and Failure".  But are they all enabled? I don't really want to turn on audit filtering platform connection..etc and have our logs explode.  Any guidance is appreciated.  Thanks

• What are the recommended Audit Policy settings for Windows when implementing logging for the PCI DSS or other security standard?

Here is what I found and what I have set based on this:

Category/Subcategory                      Setting

System

Security System Extension               No Auditing

System Integrity                        Success and Failure

IPsec Driver                            No Auditing

Other System Events                     No Auditing

Security State Change                   Success and Failure

Logon/Logoff

Logon                                   Success and Failure

Logoff                                  Success and Failure

Account Lockout                         Success and Failure

IPsec Main Mode                         No Auditing

IPsec Quick Mode                        No Auditing

IPsec Extended Mode                     No Auditing

Special Logon                           Success and Failure

Other Logon/Logoff Events               Success and Failure

Network Policy Server                   No Auditing

Object Access

File System                             Success and Failure

Registry                                Success and Failure

Kernel Object                           No Auditing

SAM                                     No Auditing

Certification Services                  No Auditing

Application Generated                   No Auditing

Handle Manipulation                     No Auditing

File Share                              Success and Failure

Filtering Platform Packet Drop          No Auditing

Filtering Platform Connection           No Auditing

Other Object Access Events              No Auditing

Detailed File Share                     No Auditing

Privilege Use

Sensitive Privilege Use                 Failure

Non Sensitive Privilege Use             No Auditing

Other Privilege Use Events              No Auditing

Detailed Tracking

Process Termination                     No Auditing

DPAPI Activity                          No Auditing

RPC Events                              No Auditing

Process Creation                        No Auditing

Policy Change

Audit Policy Change                     Success and Failure

Authentication Policy Change            Success and Failure

Authorization Policy Change             Success and Failure

MPSSVC Rule-Level Policy Change         Success and Failure

Filtering Platform Policy Change        Success and Failure

Other Policy Change Events              Success and Failure

Account Management

User Account Management                 Success and Failure

Computer Account Management             Success and Failure

Security Group Management               Success and Failure

Distribution Group Management           Success and Failure

Application Group Management            Success and Failure

Other Account Management Events         Success and Failure

DS Access

Directory Service Changes               No Auditing

Directory Service Replication           No Auditing

Detailed Directory Service Replication  No Auditing

Directory Service Access                Failure

Account Logon

Kerberos Service Ticket Operations      Success and Failure

Other Account Logon Events              Success and Failure

Kerberos Authentication Service         Success and Failure

Credential Validation                   Success and Failure

Off topic but just wanted to compare with some others.  Anyone?

• Thanks, this is good info!  Funny thing, that site you link to is actually a company that we are considering using for their FIM product.