11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 2:13 PM by aLTeReGo RSS

Advanced alerts

jaeson.lauritzen

I've been doing a lot of searching on thwack and through the help files and can't find an answer so far. Well what I have found seems to be outdated and no longer works.

I'm trying to capture the current value that triggered an alert and the trigger value for email alerts. The alert email messages we used to receive from a different product would give us "Disk Utilization is now back to normal, current value is 81%" or "Free Disk Space in MB for C: is 683 MB, threshold value for this monitor is 1000 MB" or "Disk Utilization is 86%, threshold value for this monitor is 85%". I've tried a number of variables and can't seem to find the right one for component monitors. Is this something I'd have to create a SQL query for? This is probably something very basic, I don't have a lot of experience with SolarWinds.

• Re: Advanced alerts
    byrona

The variable to use in the email would be ${VolumePercentUsed}.  When you are in the Message tab of the alert action to send an email there is an “Insert Variable” button at the bottom that you can use to find all of the different variables you may want to include in the alert.

Hope this helps!

jaeson.lauritzen

bryona, thank you for that one. I suppose I was hoping there are some generic variables that would capture the threshold value that was violated by the alert and its current value. I've been digging through the insert variable and admin guide, maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective or setting up alerts in the wrong area.

aLTeReGo

Volumes do not have independent thresholds like SAM component monitors do. There is a single, global warning and critical threshold that is applied to all monitored volumes in Orion. This setting can be found under [Settings ->  Orion Thresholds]. Since this value is not unique per-volume no variable exists within the Advanced Alert Manager. I recommend instead that you simply type the raw value as seen on this screen into the message body of the alert you are trying to send.

Volume Thresholds.png

ashley.foster@sih.net

Is there a way to identify which disk is exceeding the value? I have an email already set up when the disk volume is 95%, I get an email but it does not tell me which drive it is.

dc_san

I think as long as you have the type of property to monitor set to "volume" shown below.  you should be able to use the variable ${Caption} and that will list the drive letter and name.  Also using variable ${Node.Caption} along with ${Caption} will include the node name plus its drive letter/name. 

solwinds.JPG

I actually use this in my email alert message used on the trigger actions tab.   (Example:  The C:\OS on SERVERabc has 500mb of free space remaining) :

The ${Caption} volume on ${Node.Caption} has ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSpaceAvailable / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} MB of free space remaining.

aLTeReGo

There's actually a pre-configured out-of-the-box alert available in the Advanced Alert Manager that simply needs to be enabled and a valid email address configured. Below are the message variables used in that alert.

Volume ${FullName}:

Total size ${VolumeSize}

Free space ${VolumeSpaceAvailable}

Percent used ${VolumePercentUsed}

Link to the volume details page for more information: ${VolumeDetailsURL}

Volume Alert.png

reklov77

The message our alert sends out is:

${VolumeDescription} on ${Node.SysName} is at ${VolumePercentUsed} which exceeds the threshold.

Which shows up as:

C:\ Label:OS & Apps  on IcarusDB is at 97 % which exceeds the threshold.

jaeson.lauritzen

Hi all,

So a ghost I am trying to chase right now is I'll get alerts for "Full scans\sec(Warning)", "Pages/sec(Critical)", etc. stating that its in a warning or critical state. I'm not finding a variable that capture the current numerical value of the component that triggered the alert and what the threshold of that component is that passed. It's great to know that "Page Reads/Sec" or a different component for example is in a critical state but it would also help if I could have numerical values listed out in email alerts so there is a better understanding of situation in case I am not able to quickly access the system. Thank you for the help everyone.

aLTeReGo

The macro for property type "APM: component" that shows the last polled statistical value that triggered the alert is ${StatisticData}. If you also want to include the configured warning and/or critical threshold values in the same message, you would use the ${Threshold-Statistic-Warning} and ${Threshold-Statistic-Critical} respectively. A listing of SAM alert macro variables available can be found in the Advanced Alert Manager, as well as in the Administrators Guide -> SolarWinds SAM Alerts

Insert Variable.png

woolerym

Been looking for that for a while - thanks!  How would you do this for an APM:Application monitor?

aLTeReGo

Applications are simply wrappers which contain individual component monitors, so they don't have statistics beyond general availability. The closest possible equivalent would ${ComponentsWithStatus} or ${ComponentsWithProblems}

APM Application Macros.png