This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

The Ultimate CPU Alert

CPU alerts are a yawner. Grab the CPULoad, check it against a threshold (maybe even a per-node custom threshold, as explained here: TIPS & TRICKS: Stop The Madness: How to set alert thresholds per-device), cut the alert, move on, right?

Here's the problem: If you are working with sophisticated Operations or server staff, you probably already know that they hate CPU alerts because they are

1. always vague
  2. frequently invalid
  3. way too frequent because they are tuned too low OR
  4. never triggered when you need them because they are tuned too high.

At the heart of the issue is the fact that high CPU, by itself, tells you nothing of use. So the CPU is high? So what? If I've got a box that is constantly running hot but it is keeping up with the work, that's called "correctly sized".

What you really want need to about CPU know are 3 things:

1. How many processors are in the box
  2. How many jobs are in the Processor Queue
  3. What's the current CPU load

If you've got more jobs in the queue than you have CPUs and you also have high CPU, then you have the makings of a meaningful, actionable issue.

Let's add a little icing on the cake: When the condition above occurs, I want to know what the top 10 processes are at that moment, so I can get an idea of the likely culprits.

Interested? Let's get to work!

For this to work, you need NPM and SAM. You will be assigning one Perfmon counter to all your servers, and doing a little bit of SQL voodoo in the alert.

The Perfmon Counter:

In SAM, set up a new template. In it, you want to add a perfmon counter monitor named “Win_Processor_Queue_Len” that points to

• Counter: “Processor Queue Length”,
  • Instance: (blank)
  • Category: “System”

processor_queue_AM.png

After appropriate testing, adjustments, etc, you will eventually roll this template out to all your Windows systems.

The Alert Trigger

Your alert trigger is going to require some hardcore SQL. So you are setting up a Custom SQL Alert, with “Nodes” as the target table.

Along with the top part of the query that is automatically provided, you will add the following:

inner join APM_AlertsAndReportsData

on (Nodes.NodeID = APM_AlertsAndReportsData.NodeId)

INNER join (select c1.NodeID, COUNT(c1.CPUIndex) as CPUCount

from (select DISTINCT CPUMultiLoad.NodeID, CPUMultiLoad.CPUIndex

from CPUMultiLoad) c1

group by c1.NodeID) c2 on Nodes.NodeID = c2.NodeID

where

APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName = 'Win_Processor_Queue_Len'

AND APM_AlertsAndReportsData.StatisticData > c2.CPUCount

AND nodes.CPULoad > 90

alert_trigger.png

What this is doing is

1. pulling the count of CPU’s for this node from the CPUMultiLoad table
  2. Pulling the current statistic for the Win_Processor_Queue_Len perfmon counter
  3. Checking that the number of processes in the queue is greater than the number of CPU’s
  4. And finally checking that the CPULoad is over 90%

If the conditions in item 3 and 4 are true, you will get an alert.

If you stop here, you have a nifty alert that will tell you when something meaningful (and bad) is going on with your server. But let’s kick it up a notch.

Trigger Action

Your alert action is going to have two key steps:

1. Run the “Solarwinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe utility to get the top 10 processes
  2. After a 60 second delay, send your message

alert_action.png

Get the Processes

The “Solarwinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe” comes as part of SolarWinds SAM.

NOTE: If you installed SolarWinds somewhere other than the default location (C:\program files (x86)) then you will need to provide the full path to \SolarWinds\Orion\APM\Solarwinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe

Otherwise, your command will look like this:

1. SolarWinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe -n=${NodeID} -alert=${AlertDefID} -timeout=60

The only thing you may want to adjust is the –timeout, if you find you are getting alerts coming back with no process information (ie: it’s taking longer for the servers to respond)

Send Your Message

At its most basic, your alert message needs to look like this:

CPU on Node ${NodeName} is at ${CPULoad}  at ${AlertTriggerTime}.

Top 10 processes at the time of the alert are:

${Notes}

NOTE: The ${Notes} field is populated with the top 10 processes as part of the previous action.

However, if you want to dress it up, you can include more information using more SQL voodoo:

CPU on Node ${NodeName} is at ${CPULoad}  at ${AlertTriggerTime}.

There are ${SQL:Select APM_AlertsAndReportsData.StatisticData from APM_AlertsAndReportsData where APM_AlertsAndReportsData.NodeId = ${NodeID} and APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName = 'Win_Processor_Queue_Len'} items in the process queue and only ${SQL:Select COUNT(c1.CPUIndex) from (select DISTINCT CPUMultiLoad.NodeID, CPUMultiLoad.CPUIndex from CPUMultiLoad where CPUMultiLoad.nodeid = ${NodeID} ) c1 } CPUs to process them.

${Notes}

If there is no list of alerts, it's because it took longer than 2 minutes to collect off the server. We felt that delivering the alert fast was more important.

What that big ${SQL… block in the middle does is pull the current Win_Processor_Queue_Len statistic, along with the count of CPUs for this node from the CPUMultiLoad table. The result would read:

There are 10 items in the process queue and only 4 CPUs to process them.

After setting up the message, make sure you go to the “Alert Escalation” tab and set the “Delay the execution of this action” to at least 1 minute.

alert_escalation.png

Summary

So there you have it. A CPU alert that not only tells you when something meaningful and actionable is happening, but it gives you (or your support staff) some initial information to get you started finding and resolving the problem.

As anecdotal proof of how valuable this is, within 24 hours of rolling out this alert at my company, we found 3 different applications which were chronically mis-behaving across the enterprise. 2 resulted in our being able to prove an issue to the vendor (who didn’t believe us) and get a bug-fix under way.

EDIT 2014-10-31:

As discovered by Joshua Biggley in this post: Custom SQL Alerts - Do reset conditions also need to be custom?, the reset trigger is problematic for this alert (as with all custom SQL alerts). You can't just select "reset when the condition is no longer true". The solution, as elaborated by Richard Letts here: Warning about custom SQL alerts (reset trigger), the reset trigger needs to be:

inner join APM_AlertsAndReportsData

on (Nodes.NodeID = APM_AlertsAndReportsData.NodeId)

INNER join (select c1.NodeID, COUNT(c1.CPUIndex) as CPUCount

from (select DISTINCT CPUMultiLoad.NodeID, CPUMultiLoad.CPUIndex

from CPUMultiLoad) c1

group by c1.NodeID) c2 on Nodes.NodeID = c2.NodeID

where

(APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName = 'Win_Processor_Queue_Len' AND APM_AlertsAndReportsData.StatisticData <= c2.CPUCount)

OR nodes.CPULoad <= 90

The key change here is that you want to reset when EITHER the processes are less than the number of CPU's, OR the CPU load is under the threshold

EDIT 2015-02-23

Hat-Tip to garyuk who caught my greater-than / less-than confusion in the reset logic above. It's fixed now.

• Bravo !!!

This is what I have been trying to describe to my engineers...now there is a gotcha.

For a windows server that is a VM, it has X number of CPU's as VM has "told" it but the server doesn't know it is virtual.

If the one of the VM guests is so busy that it is taking a large amount of resources, it is possible that this server thinks it's maxed out when in actually it is being starved for resources.   See this article:   http://blog.logicmonitor.com/2013/02/25/a-tale-of-two-metrics-windows-cpu-or-vcenter-vm-cpu/

If we can tie in cpu ready from the ESX side then we'd have the "More Ultimate CPU Alert !"

Ah...the joys of virtual enviroments.  It's all shell games.

• I have a couple of thoughts about this:

• the alert works equally well for VMWare systems, so you could tune the ESX alert to have a shorter window than the guest alert.
    • I have to believe there's a way to alert for guests that are consuming too many host resources. It's not a canned alert, but I'm going to look into this now now that there's a fly in my ointment.
    • ...and of course, SolarWinds would tell you to take a look at Virtualization Manager
  • Thanks Leon...  The fun part is knowing when and if the guest is being starved for resources which is why the utilization is "high".

Then proper steps can be taken to improve resource availability...which reduces alerts,improves productivity, reduces "app is slow" tickets.

This wasn't an intent to put a fly in your ointment...but rather using the collaborative power of Thwack for good.

• I did some digging and the fact is that setting up this alert is pretty simple - no SQL needed.

When you create an alert using the "Property to Monitor" of "VirtualMachine" then you can get the CPU of the guest, OR the actual CPU consumption on the host machine.

Simple trigger, Virtual Machines, Current CPU and Memory, CPU Utilization.

That statistic is NOT the same as the CPU on the host. I'm still testing it out but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

- Leon

• I think I need a follow Leon Adato button.

Nice work on the above and nice work on the icmp Status monitoring but no snmp stats alert to!

• Awwwwww!

Just click the picture of my fuzzy face, and in the upper-right corner you should see a "follow" button. I'll even friend you if you ask!

• So I believe i followed your above to the TEE and when I test the alert i get this

CPU on Node ASC-PRD-SQL13 is at 60 %  at 5/13/2014 3:55:40 PM.

There are ${SQL:Select APM_AlertsAndReportsData.StatisticData from APM_AlertsAndReportsData where APM_AlertsAndReportsData.NodeId = $@NodeID@ and APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName = 'Win_Processor_Queue_Len'} items in the process queue and only 4 CPUs to process them.

If there is no list of alerts, it's because it took longer than 2 minutes to collect off the server. We felt that delivering the alert fast was more important.

With no cool info :-) what am I doing wrong

• Are you collecting the metric named "Win_Processor_Queue_Len" for that node? (spellling counts, cApiTaliZatioN counts). If not, that's why you are getting the error.

• The part that is not working for me in my alert message is the Notes. How do I populate the Notes field with the list of Top 10 components? Thanks for the very nice alert by the way Leon.

• Are you making sure you execute the program to get the processes

SolarWinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe -n=${NodeID} -alert=${AlertDefID} -timeout=60

In my post above, it was bullet-ed with an "A. " before it.

Also, you have to make sure you put the PATH to that executable (SolarWinds.APM.RealTimeProcessPoller.exe) if you installed SolarWinds anywhere EXCEPT the default (C:\program files(x86\solarwinds).

Finally, you have to put a delay for the next action - the email - so that the first action has time to run. And sometimes it still doesn't, because - DUH! - the CPU on the box is so busy it can't complete. So that's one of those hit-or-miss kinds of things.