8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2013 4:37 AM by ashley.cotter RSS

Why nodes are showing down in solarwinds NPM even though the ips are reachable from my pc

mershadshaik

Dear Admins,

Greetings.

As i am new to solarwinds,

Some ips are suddently showing down in our solarwinds monitor even though the ips are reachable from my pc.

After one hour the issue is clear.

My question is why solarwinds displayed them down while they are ICMP reachable successfully

I attached snapshots of solarwinds and icmp results at that time frame.

Many thanks for your understanding.

.EXIT-17.DS.01.JPGPING DC.SS.01.JPGICMP RESULTS SS.01.JPG

Best regards,

Ershad SM.

• Re: Why nodes are showing down in solarwinds NPM even though the ips are reachable from my pc
    michael stump

Ershad,

It may be that a device in between your Orion host and the host at 10.30.2.115 had a problem that prevented Orion from pinging the host, while the connection between your PC and 10.30.2.115 was operating normally.

Did Orion detect any other devices that were down during this time?

• Re: Why nodes are showing down in solarwinds NPM even though the ips are reachable from my pc
    ashley.cotter

Firstly Welcome..

As Michael said I believe this could be an orion reachability issue.. Does this affect only that Node or multiple? Does the Switch reside on the same network as Orion?

All the best

mgibson

I have had this issue for the last couple of weeks, in fact I have had this issue before that. In my situation, When I upgraded to v10.4.2 when Hardware health monitoring(HHM) came to be, because I monitor servers and network devices, my loading across my pollers was not right. Before, one balanced their pollers by shear number of monitored elements, now that HHM is here, you have to spread your network nodes monitored across your pollers(because of all the SNMP going on). In the console, manage, Group By Polling engine. choose a network device and goto summary, then look at your polling details resource, make sure the poller is talking to the DB Server as expected. (Especially if you have breaks in your graphs)Also you can look to see if the MSMSG Queue is processing messages. I found that restarting the ORION Services would fix the issue for a short time, but didnt solve the issue.

In my case, I had 2 pollers on VM's with only 1 core each, I increased to 2 cores and my resource issue went away and the nodes began talking to the DB Server properly.

My users were complaining about too many alerts, stating their servers have not went down although ORION said it did, I was getting packet loss all over the place. Because if ORION talked to the DB and had packet loss when it reported to the DB Server, the entire time the Poller does not talk to the DB Server was treated as packet loss, and ORION would report that the device went down.

Hope this helps

ashley.cotter

Mohammed,

How are you getting on with this chap.. do you still need any help?

mershadshaik

Dear Admins,

Greetings,

Hope you all are doing well.

Many thanks for your swift responses.

The issue started in six nodes at that time belongs to same branch. we have nearly forty branches connected to our HQ through MPLS .

In that down six nodes one is Cisco 1841 router and other five are Cisco catalyst switches connected to this router .

Solarwinds showed all six nodes down but actually from my PC while i tried to ping , only Cisco router showed down. other five switches are pinging successfully. after one hour issue is clear and upto now no issue is there.

i hope as the solarwinds has to go first though router only but at that time as the router is not reachable may be it showed other devices also down.

However you guys have any other idea why other nodes pinging from pc other than showing down.

Best regards,

Ershad SM.