This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM Having trouble validating SNMP read/write string

I just added a new Minuteman RPM series UPS to the network and am trying to add it as a node with SNMP credentials so we can use UnDPs to monitor specific values, but no matter what Read/Write string I configure on the UPS, Solarwinds tells me that the node does not respond with that Read/Write string.  The only way I can add the node is to leave the Read/Write field blank, but then the UnDPs provide no data.

TL;DR Node not responding to Read/Write string, what do?

• My first thought is that the device is not configured completely.  Some devices require you to provide an SNMP string and also configure the trap destination.  When you configure the trap destination, that also tells the device who to accept SNMPGet requests from.  But that's just 1 thought.

Another thought, you can download an SNMPWalk tool from the internet, and see if the device responds to your PC.

Outside of that, I'm not familiar with the device itself, so I can't really provide any specific details.

Maybe just 1 more thought, after applying the SNMP string, did you reboot the device?  I have seen some devices require a reset after a change is made.

• The device is a minuteman power supply.  I configured the trap destination to our NOC, but it could be there's a specific server we use.  I'll ask someone here.

Tried, the reset, no luck.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Turns out the polling engine was different than the Trap IP I had configured, so I changed the Trap IP, but still no luck.  Btw, the device shouldn't need to reset since one of the major selling points of this power supply is that it can be remotely configured and operated.

• Just completed an SNMPwalk and my computer seems to have talked to the thing no problem

• Out of curiousity, did you copy and paste the SNMP string into NPM from the UPS GUI?  If so, can you manually type it in?  I have seen in other situations that when you copy and paste from some GUI to NPM, that a "mysterious" space is placed in the string.  When looking at it, it doesn't look like it, but it's there.

• Yeah I know what you mean.  I've tried both by this point, but I usually type it in and have basically been typing exclusively in this matter for a while now. 

Now NPM lets me submit the node changes with a read/write string, it just says that it couldn't validate the SNMP credentials and then provides me with no polling data.

For reference, before NPM would refuse to let me add the node with a Write string.  I don't think this change really makes a difference, but I suppose it's worth noting.

• Can you check in the SNMPwalk whether sysObjectId is there and the data type is OID.

SysObjectID is mandatory when you want to add a node as SNMP. Some devices report sysObjectID as STRING data type, but NPM expect OID, so this could be the second reason why you are not able to add a node as SNMP.

Did you try to run the SNMPwalk from server where NPM is installed? (I mean the SNMPwalk tool in Orion install dir).

• The data type is OID.  The OID it supplies is the OID for Digi Power Manufacturing, and that is the machine type when you view the node on NPM.  The issue is not adding the node with SNMP, but adding the node with a write string.  The RPM I'm having this issue with forces me to specify a write string, but NPM will not allow me to add the node with any write string except for a blank field.

• I am making some assumptions here, but these are my thoughts anyway. The Minuteman SNMP-SSL cards are notoriously unintuitive and difficult to configure, that may be what you are using in your UPS for management. I have had success with SNMP v2c in read only, and v3 in read/write after a lot of messing around. The first most important thing is to make sure you have the latest firmware from their support site, older versions have some issues.

The web interface is more intuitive than the command line interface. On the SNMP-SSL Control page make sure the appropriate SNMP version and ports are configured.

The SNMP/HTTP Access Control page is where you configure NMS access rights and Read/Write or Read level access, make sure the NMS is configured there with the desired string. This may be where you are seeing it work with no community, but not work with a community from the sound of things.

The SNMP Trap Receivers page is where you define the trap receivers with associated community in the 'User Name' field.

Hopefully something here may be of use to you. Also, I posted Universal Device Pollers for the Minuteman in the File Exchange on Thwack.