This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMPv3 with ESXi?

Hi,

Putting this in the NPM group, since it is an SNMP issue....

Please don't ask me why (long story), but I am trying to get NPM to poll an ESXi server.  Anyone get this to work?  I have the ESXi 5.1 system configured for SNMPv3, however when I run a test connect from NPM it fails.  The ESXi is spitting out a syslog message that indicates NPM has requested authNoPriv[2}, and I have it set for both authorization and privacy, so the resulting connection is not supported.... I have both the authorization and privacy fields configured in NPM, so I am not sure why it is sending that kind of request.  As a test, I dropped the ESXi back to auth only, and it quit giving errors, but it also still fails with no errors at the NPM end.

If anyone has the magic beans for the configuration on the ESXi side I might be missing, I'd appreciate them.  I have tried this on two different ESXi boxes, and get the same results.

Note that I only need polling at this time, not traps.

I'll probably open a ticket on this as well.

Thanks!

-Mike