3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2013 1:26 PM by aLTeReGo RSS

SAM 6.0 Beta 3 - Comments

rmcder

So far the software looks great and I've not noticed anything that needs immediate attention.  Really impressed with AppInsight for Microsoft SQL, common response from folks in my shop besides "Wow" is "when can we get this installed in production?"  I'd be interested in knowing when AppInsight will include latest versions of Exchange and Lync?  I'll definitely be installing Beta 4 - and hopefully be able to provide useful feedback and recommendations for improvement.

Thanks for the great work,

v/r

Bob McDermand

• Re: SAM 6.0 Beta 3 - Comments
    aLTeReGo

rmcder I'm glad you're enjoying the SAM 6.0 beta so far. As for AppInsight for other applications, susan chopra is looking for volunteers to provide feedback on some early prototypes she's been working on for Exchange. If you're interested I recommend reaching out to her directly by emailing her at susan.chopra@solarwinds.com

wanine39

here are my initial thoughts

+ means an improvement

= is just a comment

- means it needs a change or fix

=====================

In no specific order

+ pages seem to load faster that the last release

- need an ability to remove tabs, sub menu etc that are not used by a customer

ie, we don't use hyper-v,  i do want to see this sub menu

we are on a closed network with NO inet access, remove thwack and other calls home

- under virtualization assets, it would be nice to see which machines are based on what clones

ie enable options for how the VM are displayed

+application scanner seems to run faster

= network atlas should not be a separate product, , bundle it inside sam, npm etc

- need an ability to add tabs, sub menu etc that are used by a customer

ie, we use Centrify to manage single signon  i want to see this sub menu

- clicking on help file should be local to the installed server, and NOT going out to  the inet.

- HOME/EVENTS shows a rainbow of colors, there is no legend telling the user what each colour means

- HOME/EVENTS shows a pop up window when you hover over a  line, can these details be added to each line in a new coloumn

-  as well the ability to sort by clicking  any column would be handy

more testing  later when i have some free time );

aLTeReGo

+ pages seem to load faster that the last release

Glad to hear it. We spent quite a bit of time in this release focusing on web interface optimization.

- need an ability to remove tabs, sub menu etc that are not used by a customer

Removing tabs and controlling which items appear on the menu bar are controlled at the individual user or user group level. You can have multiple different menu bars configured through "Customize Menu Bars" under [Settings], then assign which menu bar each user or group sees under their user settings [Settings - Manage Accounts]. To remove a tab for a user or group, within the account settings go to "Default Menu Bars and Views" and click the drop-down for say the "Virtualization tab menu bar" and change the setting to "none", click "Submit" at the bottom of the page to save the settings and that will remove the "Virtualization" tab for that the user or group.

- under virtualization assets, it would be nice to see which machines are based on what clones

Logged as a feature request internally under FB255116

+application scanner seems to run faster

SAM 5.5 included substantial improvements to the Application Discovery process. I'm glad to hear it hasn't gone unnoticed

= network atlas should not be a separate product, , bundle it inside sam, npm etc

Network Atlas is included as part of both SAM and NPM at no additional cost. You will find it already installed on the Orion server itself and can also be downloaded and run on your workstation by clicking the " Download Network Atlas" link on any of the out of the box maps displayed in the Orion web interface when logged in as "admin" or equivalent.

- need an ability to add tabs, sub menu etc that are used by a customer

You can create any menu bar items you wish using the "Customize Menu Bars" option discussed above. Tabs though are reserved for individual products. You can however create your own Subviews.

- clicking on help file should be local to the installed server, and NOT going out to  the inet.

Offline/Local help is available for download and installation on the Orion Server itself. Help Server [Settings - Web Console Settings] is the URL of the server where online help for Orion products is stored. The default location is http://www.solarwinds.com. If you are in an Internet-restricted network environment but require access to online help, download the entire online help, copy it to a web server, and then change the Help Server URL to that of the web server. You can download the online help from http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionLocalHelp.zip.

- HOME/EVENTS shows a rainbow of colors, there is no legend telling the user what each color means

Logged as a bug internally under FB255122

- HOME/EVENTS shows a pop up window when you hover over a  line, can these details be added to each line in a new column

The information displayed in the mouse hover is current status information which the event details are historical in nature. The mouse hover provides quick access to current information that allows you to easily see the current status of the node/application/interface/etc as it relates to this historical event. Essentially it makes it easy to look at an event from 2 hours ago and see if it's still an issue.

-  as well the ability to sort by clicking  any column would be handy

You can sort these columns by clicking on the title header.