7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 1:01 PM by Fred Lipton RSS

SEUM-User-# using up disk space

Fred Lipton

I've got three players spun up on Amazon with modest but sufficient resources to do the job.  So far I've got 6 monitors assigned to each player.  I've noticed that the seum-user-# subdirectories grow larger than the cache settings allow in the browser settings which suggests the cause is not temporary IE files.  More than once they've consumed nearly the entire disk space.  The culprit folder appears to be C:\users\seum-user-#\appdata\local\microsoft\windows but the contents of that folder do not add up to what the file browser says should be in there [with the hidden file attribute set to display].  The first couple of seum-users seem to be the bigger disk-hogs.

It's a relatively vanilla set up.  Amazon provides Win08R2 plain Jane instances, I've added only the Player executable.

I've read other threads where it was suggested to stop the player service and delete the accounts or delete the temporary files folder [which doesn't appear to be the problem folder].  The better solution is to not have these user account folders over-grow their banks at all.  I'm not the OS maven I hoped to be and looking for advice/clues/commiseration.

Pls/Thnx...Fred

• Re: SEUM-User-# using up disk space
    jiri.tomek

Hello Fred,

mentioned folder "C:\users\seum-user-#\appdata\local\microsoft\windows" and especially its subfolder "WER" is used to store application crash report when any application crashes. If this folder grows for SEUM users, it probably means that WPM player processes are crashing. We've seen some websites that were able to crash the process by using an ActiveX component that does not work under WPM process.

Can you please open a support ticket so that we can look what is happening with your installations?

You can also disable Windows Error Reporting that is responsible for this growing folder. Here are some ways how to do that: Disable WER on Windows - My IT projects or How to disable Windows Error Reporting - 4sysops

Fred Lipton

Hi jiri.tomek;

When you mentioned the WER folder I perked up because I noticed that one but didn't have a clue what it was for.  Looking in the user subdirs today there's a folder I didn't notice yesterday,C:\users\seum-user-1\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WebCache which is over 1GB mostly in one file: WEbCacheV01.dat.  Similar files/folders in other seum-user subdirectories.

IE settings for data is limited to 250MB which doesn't jive with that 1GB .dat file so I'm missing something.

Do you still recommend opening a support ticket?  I'm willing.  Thnx...Fred

netlogix

I am also starting to have this happen with the WEbCacheV01.dat file.  I stopped all services and deleted the profiles and restarted them, I am waiting to see if it comes back.  I am interested to see what happens with this, let us know if you find anything - if mine comes back, I'll post anything I find.

romeyde

I've been dealing with this since updating to IE10.   I've tried adjusting the Internet Explorer settings to limit the size of this file but hadn't had any luck.   In normal use this wouldn't be a problem, since in most cases, you have one user on a box and one webcache file, so a few gig isn't that big of a deal.  But with WPM and 8 or so users all creating these files, it becomes a problem.  My default NT verts only have 15GB available after the OS and app is installed.  My only solution so far has been to create a powershell script that stops the player service at night, deletes the webcache files for each WPM user and then restarts the player process.   I also have it clean up the WPM log directory at the same time.  I'm spend most of my time in Unix and had no powershell experience, but would be happy to share what I have so far (and would certainly appreciate any suggested improvements)...

script so far...

Stop-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

Start-Sleep -s 10

Stop-Process -Name dllhost* -Force

Start-Sleep -s 10

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

If (Test-Path C:\Users\SEUM-User-8\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat) {

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-8\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

}

Remove-Item C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Logs\SEUM\AgentWorker_*.log

Start-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

netlogix

you can also edit c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SEUM\Player\SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Service.exe.config and change numWorkerProcesses to lower the number of profiles it creates.

Fred Lipton

romeyde and netlogix: interesting approaches and they both could be helpful, short-term fixes but they seem like band-aids.  This is a simple set up [Windows boxes with no other tasks to perform] and ought to work without having to frequently ride herd on these player PCs, taking them off-line every night [albeit briefly] or compromise their performance by restricting processes.

Here's another option that occurred to me that may want to consider: disk quotas; set and forget.  I don't know what the effect will be when an seum-user-# object hit that mark.  Will it stop working?  Hose up the computer?

The search for a solution continues....

Fred Lipton

I opened a support ticket and got this advice which does have a positive effect on the issue: reduce the history days saved from the default of 20.  I chose 2 days and let it run for more than a few days.  Each SEUM-User-# object uses about half to two-thirds than previously and appears to be stable.  I'd call this a solution as it appears long lasting and doesn't require scheduled tasks or scripted processes to run.

On a side note, these instances are running IE10.  To maintain compatibility with the monitored websites at least one of the three players we've spun up has been downgraded to IE8, which may open a completely different can of worms.  Or not.  We'll see and I'll post my findings.