19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 9:46 PM by juanmapalad RSS

installing orion npm

juanmapalad

hello all,

i have installed SolarWinds-Orion-NPM-v10.4.1-Eval-RegistrationRequired into a server.. i did the ff:

1. installed a dotnet frame work 3.5 or higher

2. add IIS role

3. installed npm setup

in the installation i encountered this error: failed with 0x80070643 fatal error during installation.. so i decided to do the installation again because i think that  i have a problem

regarding its IIS config.. i uninstalled all the orion npm installation in the control panel and removed them..

when i install the npm setup again i encountered this error:

orionerror.jpg

i cannot pushthrough to the installation successfully beause of this.. i need a help badly.. thanks a lot in advance..

• Re: installing orion npm
    nrms

Sounds like an issue with the database. Have you tried going to the link shown in that message and installing the compent being asked for?

Leon Adato

I had a similar problem recently (with a test server, thankfully). I tried several different uninstall-reinstall scenarios and finally gave up and scrubbed and reloaded the server. The second time was the charm.

The best thing I can tell you is to start with a "bare OS" - just Windows - and let Solarwinds do ALL the work - let it install IIS for you, and all the other stuff.

juanmapalad

hi all,

i am about to install the license for my orion nmp. my sql is package installed during the npm installation.. what do i need? can i install the license directly? do i need to create sql server?

i would also install the orion atlas map.. where can i download it? how do i go about it?

thanks

ElevenB2003

You shouldn't need to install a license key for Orion NPM if you're using the evaluation version.  It will work fine for 30 days and then you'll have to install a license if you decide to purchase (Which you should ).  There is a License application you can use to license the Orion applications.  As for the network atlas, you can either get to it directly from your NPM server if you're RDP'd into it or you can select "edit" on your Orion homepage's map, and check the box "Display download link for Network Atlas".  Then you'll see a link under the default Orion map to download the Atlas and you can start making your own custom maps for Orion.

juanmapalad

hi Jon,

at 1st i installed the orion npm license evaluation, then since we bought the license so we need to activate it..

in adding a node, i would like to ask your opinion about this:

defining node

polling hostname or ip address: -- what is this polling address

polling method: most devices -- ??

snmp version 2c (default) --  ??

snmp port? -- what port will i put?

community string: -- what will i put here in community string

read/write community string: ??

i cant add a node yet since i do not know what to put in.. and when i test it fails.

and if i click a discovered node i have this on the dash board:

virtual memory consumption in esx host = data is not available

virtual machine cpu consumption = no data available

vm network traffic = data is not available

unknown machine type

router interfaces cannot be seen

node detail: machine type:unkown

thanks

juanmapalad

hello all,

i have installed orion npm evaluation copy and upgraded it to a licensed one.   i have some observations in my current npm compared to the video tutorial that i saaw..

1.jpg

this attached file is from the video tutorial..

in my current npm.. i have unknown devices being discovered.. why is it that the name of the device being discovered is "unknown" ??

2.jpg

in my current installed npm.. my machine type is unknown..how can i make it the right machine type?

3.jpg

in my current installed npm.. when i try to see the traffic & percent utilization of each interface

of my router, it is empty.. while on the other device that being discovered e.g. moxa server i can see the serial/fast ethernet interfaces.. why is it that in the router i cannot see the interfaces?

4.jpg

this attached file is from the video tutorial.

in my current installed npm, when i try to see the network tab in my node detail..i dont see something like this (attached file).. what do i need to configure??

5.jpg

this attached file is from the video tutorial.

in my current installed npm..i dont see any wireless accesspoints being discovered in my npm..in the wireless summary view..what do i need to configure??

looking forward for your responses..thanks

nrms

Hi,

Unless you got the queries from your previous post answered, things won't work quite as expected; so I'll try and address that first...

polling hostname or ip address: This is the IP address of the device you want to add

polling method: most devices: Normally SNMP is the best option here

snmp version 2c (default): Again, unless you know your devices support SNMPv3 (a lot don't, including Windows) leave this as 2c

snmp port?: Accept the default

community string: This is something that you will need to define on the device to be monitored. How you do this is sepcific to the device and you should consult the user documentation

read/write community string: Same as above, but this string lets you change some aspects of the device using SNMP

Once you have your SNMP set up correctly SolarWinds will be able to poll your devices properly and gather much more information on things like the vendor, volumes, interfaces, etc.

By default, if the SNMP config isn't correct, the device will tend to be added just as an ICMP device - this means SolarWinds will only try to ping the device and log its availability. If the SNMP config is incorrect the device may still be added, but SNMP queries to the device result in no answer, hence you get no info.

juanmapalad

thanks nrms,.. this is a great info..

i would like to clarify what a seed router is from the npm orion?

thanks

ElevenB2003

A seed router is a L3 device you can use to discover networks and subnets.  It's generally easier to use a seed router if you don't want to manually enter in all of your networks and subnets for the scan.

You can use the scan to discover any and all devices that are online.  Generally, it's better to specify that the devices respond to WMI and SNMP as well, otherwise you'll get every single thing that responds to ICMP added to your list and you have to dig through it all before you can add them into NPM and start polling them.

ElevenB2003

defining node

polling hostname or ip address: This is the address (hostname or IP address) of the device you would like to poll with Orion (Router, switch, server, ect).

polling method: most devices -- This is the method you'd like to use to poll the device - SNMP, ICMP, WMI, ect - Generaly, you'll want to use SNMP and WMI.

snmp version 2c (default) --  SNMP v1 or v2c are fine here unless you are concerned about enhanced security regarding SNMP - then you'll want to configure and use v3.

snmp port? -- The default is fine here unless you decide on another port while configuring your devices.

community string: -- This is your SNMP community string - it's essentialy a password required to send "get" commands to your devices for polling - you can configure both read and write community strings if you'd like.  If a write string is configured, that means commands can be executed remotely on the device and this may pose an additional security risk for you.

read/write community string: Community string used to poll the device(s).

i cant add a node yet since i do not know what to put in.. and when i test it fails. - You'll have to configure SNMP on the devices before you can poll them with Orion.  Depending on what type of device(s) you have, there are many different ways to do this.  If you provide details on some of the devices, we can help you get SNMP configured on them.

and if i click a discovered node i have this on the dash board:

virtual memory consumption in esx host = data is not available - Configuring SNMP on ESX requires you to run remote CLI commands either using the locally installed application or via the virtual remote CLI appliance.  Here is the VMware KB for configuring SNMP: VMware vSphere 4 - ESX and vCenter Server

Note: You'll want to get your vCenter added into Orion first before you manually add the ESXi hosts as it will automatically grab the hosts once the vCenter is added.

virtual machine cpu consumption = Same as above - you'll get this info once you have SNMP configured.

vm network traffic = Same as above - you'll get this info once you have SNMP configured.

unknown machine type = What kind of device is this?  Orion doesn't have support for every single vendor/device out there but it's possible that someone has created some custom pollers that you can import in and use to gather additional details about the device via Orion.

router interfaces cannot be seen - SNMP will need to be configured on the routers/switches - Here is a Cisco guide on configuring SNMP: Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Configuration Guide, Release 12.2 - Configuring SNMP Support  [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.2 Mainline] - Cisco Systems

If you're using a different vendor's switch, please post which kind and we can help you out.

node detail: Unsupported or unkown device - may have to use custom pollers here.

thanks

juanmapalad

hi mr Jon Scheler, thanks for your prompt response that would be a helpful info. i appreciate it.

lately i installed orion npm evaluation with sql package on it..and upgraded it to license..now the orion npm license as i see it in the setting is production...

i am planning to create a separate sql server for my orion npm...my initial plan is to create a virtual machine from the server where orion is installed and then i will put the sql server in the virtual machine.. how do i transfer or link the npm for my newly created sql server?

or do i need to create a separate physical server for my sql?

any suggestion?

thanks

p.s.

i will get back to you soon regarding the snmp configuration.

ElevenB2003

You can definitely create a new DB on a VM to run your SQL server to use with Orion.  Once you have the new SQL server online, re-run the "Configuration Wizard" for Orion and follow the steps.  When it gets to the DB section, point it at the new server and select a name for the DB to be created; the wizard will handle everything else.  Please note that you will be starting with a fresh DB and lose all of your existing Orion data.  You could backup the DB from your current SQL Express installation on the Orion server and restore it to the new SQL server if you'd like to keep everything.  The SQL server does not need to be a separate physical box.

Hope that helps!

juanmapalad

hello all,

as i understand orion database package has 10G capacity..i only have the 10G orion database package in NPM, now my server is slowing down..my suspect is that my sql for data base i think is already congested... can i delete my old data base logs in order to gave way with the new logs? how it is being done?

thanks