3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 7:16 AM by deverts RSS

Which Interfaces?

deverts

AM NPM All,

As long as interface monitoring has been around, engineers have always debated which interfaces to monitor.  I know from a network perspective, my "critical" interfaces have always been the uplinks.  However, for the server teams, they are most interested in the server interfaces.  And more so today with the new innovations with UDT and IPAM, the destop teams are looking at all the access ports.  So, I'd like to open this debate/discussion up for everyone once again to get a current "trend" and opinion.  What are you doing to help support all the requirements?

My interfaces:

Network - we monitor all uplinks for up/down and stats.

Servers - we monitor up/down on the switch port, as well as, up/down and stats on the server interface.

Access interfaces - currently we don't yet, we are still evaluating the need for UDT in our environment (which is what sparked this discussion).

D

• Re: Which Interfaces?
    RichardLetts

We monitor router interfaces and inter-switch links ( mostly trunk interfaces, but a couple of thousand switches are on non-VLAN subnets and those don't have trunks defined between all of the switches.). We do not monitor every trunk interface because some (like the ones in my office) are actually converged voice/data subnets.

We do not monitor server ports because, frankly we have several hundred racks of them, and at any time a system administrator might be working on their servers. We let the server managers monitor their server status.

/RjL

branfarm

It probably depends a lot on the size of environment you monitor.   My environment is relatively small, so I monitor every utilized router and switch port, as well as server and access ports.  Though if I were reaching my license limit, the access ports, then server ports, would be the first to go.

deverts

Bump...

Just trying to get more opinions on this.  So far, Richard and branfarm confirmed that legecy opinions haven't waivered; which is good because it would just mean more work for me. 

D