3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 2:11 PM by rnas RSS

Solarwinds Orion & SQL 2012 Always-On Listeners

eainsworth

Does Orion NPM support SQL 2012's always-on failover capabilities?  If so, how can this be enabled?

• Re: Solarwinds Orion & SQL 2012 Always-On Listeners
    rob.hock

This would be more a function of creating a SQL failover cluster. As far as NPM is concerned, it is connecting to a SQL instance and has no knowledge of whether there is mirroring / replication occuring on the SQL side. Some good installation docs from MS: Create a New SQL Server Failover Cluster (Setup)

eainsworth

This isn't a failover cluster, but an Always-On availability group.  While they do the same thing, they function a little differently.  I attempted a new NPM installation, and had some problems.  I wound up recreating the database and installing it directly onto an instance.  Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, NPM using OLEDB, which doesn't support the always-on failover for multiple locations.  Not a huge deal...will address SQL failover through dns aliasing.

rnas

I would like to add to this thread:

I'm migrating and moving my SolarWInds DB from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012:

Q1 - My SolarWinds SQL 2008 is currently running mirroring, once migrated to SQL 2012 is SolaWinds supporting the SQL 2012 Alway's on Availability group? meaning SQL 2012 high availibility/disaster recovery (replacing mirroring)?

Q2 - Once migrated to SQL 2012 do I run the DB as SQL 2012 (110) compatibility mode or it has to
    run as SQL 2008 (100) compatibility mode on the SQL 2012 Server?

Thanks!