5 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 1:21 AM by jiri.tomek RSS

stuck with pending requests

romeyde

I've been experimenting in DEV myself for a bit this morning but thought asking might be faster.

What setting can I tweak in the config to limit the # of retries the player permits for these situations?

I have a bad node that is known to be bad and when solarwinds tries running a test on it, it seems to be repeating a particular step for 3 minutes before giving up.

This of course increases the player load quite a bit. 

I could unmanage the test, but that doesn't help if I'm not here to do that when the node goes bad.

None of my tests in total should take 3 minutes to run, I'd like to be able to at least limit a individual step to say 90 seconds for example.  Or better, limit the number of retries on a particular step. 

Is there a config setting for that?

2013-04-29 10:30:39,656 [SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Worker.exe][Browser Thread] WARN  SolarWinds.SEUM.Player.WatiN.WatiNPlayer - Browser was stuck with pending requests for more than 10000ms.

. repeats dozens of times

. until finally giving up

2013-04-29 10:33:18,919 [SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Worker.exe][Browser Thread] WARN  SolarWinds.SEUM.Player.WatiN.WatiNPlayer - Browser was stuck with pending requests for more than 10000ms.

2013-04-29 10:33:18,919 [SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Worker.exe][Browser Thread] WARN  SolarWinds.SEUM.Player.WatiN.WatiNPlayer - Remaining pending request: Begin: +0.000 s, Blocked: 0.015ms, DNS: 0 ms, Connection: 0 ms, Send: 0 ms, TTFB: 0 ms, Download: 0 ms, Size: 0 Mime: text/html Status: 0 URL: http://----.com/cgi-bin/soapRequest.cgi

• Re: stuck with pending requests
    klinejw

Not sure if this applies 100% to your situation, but we applied a hotfix to our players that replaced the SolarWinds.SEUM.Player.WatiN.dll with a new version to address playback issues.  Support indicated that it was a necessary patch for 2.0.1.1060 build of the player.  This hotfix wasn't visible on the portal for us, so I am not sure its generally available.

jiri.tomek

Hello Derek,

settings that affect various timeouts during playback are in <PLAYER_INSTALL_DIR>\Solarwinds.SEUM.Agent.Worker.exe.config in <playerConfiguration> section and they end with "WaitTimeMs" suffix.

• elementWaitTimeMs - Time for which playback waits for an element that he should click/write/do something with. Lowering this value can speed up playback of transactions that are failing but it can cause false alerts for transactions where page content is not loaded fast enough.
    • fileDownloadWaitTimeMs - Time for which playback waits when initiating file download. When server does not start sending file during this time, playback fails.
    • pendingRequestsWaitTimeMs - Time how long player waits for any background request (ajax, 3rd party javascripts, ...) to complete. Lowering this value can speed up loading of some pages but can also cause false alerts if background requests are required for the page to work properly.

Other WaitTime values should not directly affect playback speed and should not be changed except specific situations.

romeyde

Thanks.  I have been tweaking those for some time and it has helped.   But in this particular case, I was hoping for a setting to tell WPM to stop retrying a particular step after X failures. 

IE, limit the number of times it does this:

2013-04-29 10:30:39,656 [SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Worker.exe][Browser Thread] WARN  SolarWinds.SEUM.Player.WatiN.WatiNPlayer - Browser was stuck with pending requests for more than 10000ms.

Since it seems to just do it over and over and over before finally just failing the transaction.  

In these cases, it is tying up one of the SEUM users for a long time and causing the player load to go up quite a bit.

I actually had that one set to 5000ms for a bit instead of 10000ms, but it didn't seem to make a difference at all in this case,  the amount of time that passed between the start and stop of the step was the same. 

So there seems to be an overall setting somewhere on how long it will give a failing step before giving up.

jiri.tomek

If you see pending requests message over and over, it may mean that browser is waiting for the main request for the page, not just some background requests. This wait time can be changed by setting value to "mainPageRequestWaitTimeMs" attribute in configuration file. However lowering this value may cause false alerts for pages that take longer to load.