5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 4:54 PM by bmrad RSS

Top-N Vm Memory Underallocated

mikecl2206

Memoryvm memory.jpg

Hi,

Just getting to grips with Virtualization manager and it produces some out of the box reccomendations one of which is Vm's that have underallocated memory.

whilst I appreaciate vmware can handle more than 4Gb the recommendation from this report is to increase the memory to more than 4GB on quite a number of Vm's 95% of which are using running a 32bit OS, this to me is incorrect and wasteful. Currently running 5.1 (latest version)

Am I just reading this wrong or am i mistaken in some way?

Thanks Mike

• Re: Top-N Vm Memory Underallocated
    Ed Wilts

I haven't looked at the underallocated report in detail yet but the overallocated report is quite broken and I have an open case on this.  The query is based on active memory but the recommendation is based on consumed memory so it's not unusual to see it recommend an increase in the report.

Have a good look at the query and then look at the calculation for the underallocated  report and also look at the XML to see if the recommendations make sense in your environment.  You can, and probably should, customize the recommendation because it seems like SolarWinds took a VERY simplistic approach to the recommendations.

bmrad

We are looking into to both recommendations (over and under allocation), will keep you posted.

Brian

bmrad

Please take a look at the new blog post:

Customizing Recommendation Alerts in Virtualization Manager

I cover some similar cases to what you are trying to do, but if you have additional questions, let me know and I can help.

Brian

mikecl2206

Hi Brian,

How do I add a column to the widget/report to show the Os version running on the VM is either 32bit/64bit? I tried various ways but I gave up after some time after being unable to get the correct syntax.

bmrad

The attribute you are looking for is /virtualMachine/guestFullName, but you need to modify it like this:

if (contains(/virtualMachine/guestFullName, '32-bit')) then '32-bit' else if (contains(/virtualMachine/guestFullName, '64-bit')) then '64-bit' else 'Unknown'

You should be able to paste that into Field and then save it.  You should see something like this:

VManCalculate32or64bit.png