This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Advanced Alerts

I want to configure alerts to show the name of the router/node and the name of the specific interface that is down in the e-mail?  Should this be done in the "Alert me when a node goes down" or "Alert me when a interface goes down"?

In the "Alert me when a node goes down," I have the variables for the message set up like this:  Alert: ${InterfaceName} on ${NodeName} is ${Status}.  I'm basically trying to find out the name of the interface, the node name, and the status.  However, when I test out the alert with my e-mail using "Alert on Network Node" my alert looks something like this: Alert: Router 1 on Router 1 is Up.  (The real router name has been replaced with Router 1.)  Shouldn't the text in the e-mail alert look something like this: Interface S/0/0/0 on Router 1 is Up?  Why is the interface replaced with the name of the router? 

Screenshots.docx
  • I usually find it best practice to copy an existing alert and rename it to something else and then edit that rather then changing the stock alerts. I have had times when years later it would have been nice to have the stock alert to build off of and it had been locked hacked into something else. Along the same lines I also find it best practice to preface my alerts with the module name followed by a shorter, yet still descriptive name. For example, I would name the alert you are asking about as follows: "NPM: Router Down". I just find it redundant to have "Alert me when" since in generally assumed that when creating and ALERT it will ALERT you : )

With that being said Page 391-396 of the Orion NPM Admin Guide (http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/Orion/docs/OrionAdministratorGuide.pdf) will help you with the correct variables. I think you need to change $(InterfaceName) to ${Interfaces.FullName}.

I think the final text you will want is as follows: Alert: ${Interfaces.FullName} on ${Nodes.Caption} is ${Nodes.Status}.

Give that a try and see what happens.

• Hi jkevoian,

predefined alert "Alert me when an interface goes down" will do the work for you. Just replace variable ${InterfaceName} with ${Caption} or ${FullName} depending on which one is more suitable for you. I will check the issue with ${InterfaceName}. Anyway I would recommend to create and edit the copy of the alert so the original alert is not changed and can be used later.

Thanks,

Pavel

• So I investigated the issue with the ${InterfaceName} variable and the problem is probably in the test alert. If you select node only in the Test Fire Alert then you receive NodeName instead of InterfaceName but if you select Node and Interface, you will receive correct InterfaceName.

Let me know if this helped.

Thanks,

Pavel

• Pavel,

This helped.  Is there a way to reset the default alerts (Basis and Advanced) back to their original settings?

• Jason,

I looked over the Orion NPM Admin Guide.  I did not see ${Interfaces.FullName}.  Is this different than ${InterfaceName}?  Also, in Advanced
    Alerts, is it possible to choose the interfaces on each router like in the Basic Alert?  What would be the most logical way to do this in Advanced Alerts?  Or should I just use the Basic Alerts for this?

• Hi jkevoian,

unfortunately there is no easy way to reset alerts to the default. The only way how to get them is to import them fresh installation of NPM.

Anyway this might be good feature request

Thanks,

Pavel

• This is why I always advise admins to COPY the original alert and then rename and customize so the "out of the box" alerts, reports and templates are preserved for future use.

• Can either a basic alert or an advanced alert be configured for the following? 

Circuit usage exceeds 75% receive or transmit.

• Take a look at "High Transmit Percent Utilization" alert. It can be modified by adding simple condition for receive utilization so it will work for both,

• I have a basic alert to "Reset Alert when Interface Status is Up."  However, I did not receive an e-mail to let me know that the interface is up again.  (I received an alert when it went down.)  Is there anything else in the Basic alert that I need to do to receive e-mails when interfaces are back up again?