6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 10:02 AM by grandgroove RSS

Flash Player 11.5.502.110 ActiveX MSI installation weirdness

grandgroove

Historically, we have used the EXE builds of Adobe Flash to upgrade our clients. The current version is only in MSI flavor, so we have attempted to deploy this package. We always deploy the full version in lieu of the upgrade to cover all bases. In this case, all of target machines have Flash Player 11.4.402.287.

The attempt to deploy the MSI package yielded errors on the target machines. I enabled MSI logging on a machine and attempted another installation to get more details. The log gibes with what a straightforward installation of the MSI reveals. During the installation it tries to access an old Flash 10 MSI hosted on an old file store. Before we had Patch Manager, we used this store to host updates as we pushed them out through GPO. It acts as if it's attempting to do a Flash Player 10 uninstall. However, none of the machines have Flash 10, so it seems that perhaps incorrect information is being extracted from the registry, or something else is amiss. Perhaps there are still old registry entries that reference this old Flash 10 build that the machines had once upon a time.

I published a revision of the new package and also had WU rebuild the SoftwareDistribution folder. In each case, the end result was the same. Attached is an excerpt of the MSI log when the installation failed. For reference, the nf500 machine mentioned in the log is that old file store I mentioned earlier in the post. Below is a screenshot of the same behavior when you attempt to run the MSI file directly on a target machine:

FlashMSIError.JPG

Update - 4:10pm

I found an old copy of the Flash Player 10 installer listed in the registry and under C:\windows\installer. I deleted the folder under this directory, retried the update, and it worked. Would I have to do this manually or through separate script for each target machine?

Is there something I can change in the package or on the target machines to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks!

Jay

Updated to note that I found and removed an old Flash Player 10 entry under 'c:\windows\installer'. Afterward, the update worked.

• Re: Flash Player 11.5.502.110 ActiveX MSI installation weirdness
    jrebelo

I would also like to know what the resolution would be to this as I know if I tried to deploy the MSI instead of the EXE it would cause the same problem. Why are there no EXE upgrades?

PavelSuchy

Hi grandgroove,

I tried the update from 11.4.402.287 to 11.5.502.110 (EXE to MSI) and it passed smoothly. I will try to simulate your problem with flash player 10 later but this issue seems like native behavior of the flash player installer and it probably is not related to the package or Patch Manager itself. Flash Player 11.5.502.110 should appear in the catalog later today.

Will get back with my observation.

Thanks for posting on thwack,

Pavel

PavelSuchy

I am not able to reproduce your problem and even with Flash 10 installed (partialy deleted) update finishes successfuly. Anyway, if the flash 10 was installed from msi via Patch Manager you should be able to uninstall it via Patch Manager. If not you will probably need to uninstall the old corrupted flash manually.

Thanks,

Pavel

grandgroove

PavelSuchy the package does appear to be fine as-is. I tried it on a fresh Win7 image I just made, and it worked fine. The problem is that there is a very old entry in C:\windows\installer from late 2010 for an old Flash Player 10 installation. However, it is not listed under installed programs. We have been at Flash 11 for quite a long time.

We picked up the EXE install packages during last night's sync. I will switch back to those. Just to confirm, will PM continue to include EXE versions of Flash Player moving forward? It gave me a bit of a scare . I'm sure jrebelo would like to know, too.

Thanks for your assistance and testing.

-Jay