This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco Nexus - Power Supplies

Hi all,

I'm still very new to SolarWinds products so bear with me. I created a Universal Device Poller to monitor the power supplies on a Cisco Nexus switch and its FEX'es. Using the information from Using SNMP to Monitor Cisco Nexus 5000|176871 - Cisco Support Community I used the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.2.1.2 for this.

After creating the UnDP I assigned two Cisco Nexus 5548 to it and checked the web portal. It gives me the following output:

Cisco Nexus Power Supplies

NexusPower - LabelNexusPower
22On
23On
24On
470On
471On
101000022On
101000470On
101000471On

The values in the right column are actually "2" but I used the enumerate feature to translate these to the string "On". The label refers to the power supply. The last three are for FEX 101 (first three digits). The first 5 rows are for the Nexus 5548.

My question now is: how do I translate the numbers from the first column to meaningful strings? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

• I created a second UnDP for SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.7 (see link from the original question). This table will return the strings explaining the numbers in the first column. However, it returns way too many rows. Thus if I put the results form both UnDPs in the same table in the web interface, I will get all the useful information but also a lot of rows I don't care about.

Thus, I now have two questions:

1. How do I translate the numbers from the first column to meaningful strings?
    2. How do I remove unneeded columns from the web display in such a way that all my devices have the unneeded columns removed and the important columns stay in the table.

An answer to either question will solve my problem.

I will keep investigating this myself and updating this thread when I find something new.

• For your information, this is what I currently have:

NexusPower - LabelentPhysicalNameNexusPower
    2O2 Non L3 Daughter CardOn
    2Fex-102 PowerSupply-2On
    232 port Modular Universal Port Supervisor in Fixed Module-1On
    216 port Flexible GEMOn
    2PowerSupply-1On
    2PowerSupply-2On
    2Fex-102 PowerSupply-1On
    2Fex-102 Fabric Extender Module: 48x1GE, 4x10GE in FixedModule-1On
    2Fex-199 PowerSupply-2On
    2Fex-103 PowerSupply-1On
    2Fex-103 PowerSupply-2On
    2Fex-103 Fabric Extender Module: 48x1GE, 4x10GE in FixedModule-1On
    2Fex-101 Fabric Extender Module: 48x1GE, 4x10GE in FixedModule-1On
    2Fex-101 PowerSupply-1On
    2Fex-101 PowerSupply-2On
    2Fex-199 Fabric Extender Module: 48x1GE, 4x10GE in FixedModule-1On
    2Fex-199 PowerSupply-1On
    10Fabric [VPC domain:10]
    149Nexus5548 Chassis
    214Fixed Slot-1
    215Module Slot-2
    216Module Slot-3
    278PowerSupplyBay-1
    279PowerSupplyBay-2
    342FanBay-1

I only want to see the rows which have a value in the third column.

• Hello t0mmetje,

I do not have an answer yet, but i want to thank you for as of today i started working on this same issue and this post has helped me tremendously. Thank you.

• Hello rfletcher,

I'm very glad I could help you out. That is exactly the reason why I posted these updates to my question. I hope I'm on the right so that I don't drag you in here with me.

Please let me know your findings and I will keep updating this thread as well if I find something new. I was thinking maybe a custom HTML resource might be the answer but I haven't yet fingured out how and where I can include such a resource.

Have a nice weekend!

Tom

• Keep track of your work and post your UnDP's that you create for other users to download and check out if you want.

I would also post this information with the OID work you have done into a feature request for Nexus support.  These are some great things that almost anyone running a Nexus switch would like to see, and be able to produce an Advanced Alert against.

Looks good so far.

• I apologize for this question but how translate the number to names?

Edit for clarification: how did you translate the Power supply information (the 22, 470, 471) to names? i followed your links and did not see where they translate.

• As far as only showing rows you're interested in, you can edit that "Tabular Universal Poller" resource and uncheck the boxes for the rows you don't want to see in the "Select rows to display" section.  Now to be able to filter them on the poller side so they don't even get polled would be really cool emoticons_cool.png  So far all I've been able to figure out in that regard is to filter by row labels for alerts and filter the web display, but not actually filter on the poller side.

Kris Maxwell

Loop1 Systems

kris.maxwell@loop1systems.com

• Hi Kris,

That is what I'm doing now: selecting the individual rows to display on the website. That's cool for a few switches but they have a sh*tload of Nexus and other switches here so I will have to keep on searching for ways to automate this.

• Can you direct me as to where I can submit feature requests for (Nexus) support?

• rfletcher, that is just common knowledge. Just like everyone knows 22 translates to SSH and 80 translates to HTTP, so also everyone knows 470 and 471 translate to first and second power supply, respectively.

But seriously, when you click the link from my first post, and you scroll down to the bottom of the correct answer, you can find the following:

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.117.1.1.2.1.2.22 = INTEGER: 2

Now we need to find who is 22:

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.7.22 = STRING: "20 port 10GE SFP+/Supervior

in Fixed Module-1"

22 thus translates to the Supervisor. If you repeat this for 470 (SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.7.470) and 471, you will get two power supplies.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Tom