This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Workspace Studio Import Nodes - Orion Database

Ok - so I am wanting to import some of the 300+ nodes we have in our Orion NPM/NCM into the toolset for some spot checking or special monitoring.

I open studio, goto Devices -> Import Devices -> Solarwinds Orion Network Performance Monitor Database.  (Seemed perfect!)

Now - we have a dedicated SQL server, dedicated NPM, Dedicated NCM. When I put in the SQL Server, user/password and DB (for NCM), i get an immediate error (Unable to connect to database. Verify....)  If I put in the Orion website, it spins for a bit, then kicks out the same thing.

interesting.

I go back and try to use the "SQL Database" option - same stuff..

What am I missing here?

• The best way to import nodes from Orion is to use the database connection string. Locate file SWNetPerfMon.db in Orion installation folder (c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\), open it in notepad, and there should be a connection string around line 4 looking like this:

Connection=Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;User ID='SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser';Password='22222222';Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=SolarWindsOrion;Data Source=(local)\SOLARWINDS_ORION;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=SolarWinds;Use Encryption for Data=FALSE;Tag with column collation when possible=False

Cut away the "Connection=" and the following parameters: Provider, Use Procedure for Prepare, Auto Translate, Packet Size, WorkstationID, Use Encryption for Data, Tag with column collation when possible.

It should give you the following:

User ID='SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser';Password='22222222';Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=SolarWindsOrion;Data Source=(local)\SOLARWINDS_ORION;

Copy this connection string to clipboard and paste it to the appropriate place in the Import wizard in Workspace Studio (Select File Type - SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor Database, click Next, and put it in the "Or enter connection string manually" box.

If this does not work, you may need to contact our support.

• sorry for the delay - too many projects. That worked out perfectly.  Thank you so much.