This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM - Hardware Monitoring

Hi All,

I have just upgraded to SAM 5.1 and have a couple of questions.

1) When I look at my Dell server, it shows all the Hardware Health status such as Fan\Power Supply\Temp\ Disk etc as shown below.

dell server.jpg

When I look at my HP Server, I do not get Disk\Array etc. as shown below:

HP Hardware.jpg

How do I get the rest of the information for the HP Hardware

2) Is there a way to enable Hardware Health under the "List Rescourses" for all servers or do I have to go an individually go into each node and enable it?

Hardware Health.jpg

3) Is there a way to disable alerts for certain components for example.

In server A I only have 1 power supply connected and the 2nd Power supply bay is empty, how can I stop alerts on the 2nd Bay.

4) In the Power Display there is also an "Unknown" in the "Presence Detected" when clearly it does detect it as it shows "OK" above that.

PowerSupply.JPG

Thank you for your assistance._

Rob

• With 2, you can do it with a discovery.  Export a list of IPs that you want it turned on for, load those into a discovery, run it, then import the results.  Word of caution - sometimes discovery imports extra interface or volumes you don't want, so I just don't import volumes or interfaces - note that doesn't remove any of them that are already in Orion, it just doesn't import any new ones.  And since you imported from your own IP list, there shouldn't be any new nodes that are imported.

• For both 1 & 4 how are these nodes managed? Are these SNMP or WMI nodes, or are they VMware nodes?

If you open the web interface of Dell's Server Administrator or HP's SIM agent installed locally on the server what is the status of the Power Supply and what information is shown for the array controller?

If there's no power supply in the server, and it's not expected to have one then there should be nothing shown for that power supply. Secondly we've tested with literary hundreds of HP DL360 G7 servers without issue. Have you validated that you are running the latest version of HP's SIM agent on this server?

• there is the odd mix of non VMware Nodes and VMware nodes.

The server does have a 2nd Power supply but it is not connected at the moment due to power restrictions (Sorry in my first post i said it was empty), that is why I am looking to disable the alert trigger on the second power unit so i do not get flooded with alerts until such time as we can connect it.

The ESXi Servers are built with HP's Version of ESXi and i have updated the agents.

Below is a screenshot from HP SIM

system.JPG

You can see that Power supply 1 is ok yet in the first picture in my first post it shows as "unknown"

powersupply2.JPG

Thank you.

Rob

• SAM simply reports the hardware health status as provided by the device through the vendor supplied software. I'd recommend clearing the alert on the server using the vendor supplied software. Only then will the error state in SAM clear.

• Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

Just another quick question. Is there any reason why the HP servers dont show the Disk and RAID controller health status:

dsik.JPG

• Do you see it or can you see it when you login into the web app (HP System Management Homepage) on the server itself?

You also have to make sure that the "Report Status" option is turned on with in HP System Management Homepage on the server itself as I have shown below --

6-18-2012 10-15-15 AM.jpg

You need to make sure that "Report Status" is Set as you can see highlighted above.

Of course you need to follow the instructions for getting all of the other HP stuff installed. Without all of the right things installed it will report status correctly or not at all.

• Hi Marlbs,

These are ESXi Hosts so am unable to access the HP management web interface for the server itself, if you look 4 posts up, that is what i can see when i access HP Sim and looks at the ESXi Host.

• It's likely you're polling these ESX hosts directly and not through the vCenter. This was functionality we're working on adding in the next release. If you'd like to try it out you can download the beta by signing up here.

• Hi aLTeReGo,

How would you check\Change this?

I can click on the "Virtualization" tab and then on my vCenter server and drill down to the ESXi Host, when i click on that it opens the node properties for that host which is where i look at the hardware health status, how else could you set this up?vmware.JPG

• Under VMware Settings you should see how the ESX host is being polled and change it if necessary. Below you can see two of my nodes are polled through a vCenter and one is polled directly.

VMware Settings.png

If you're already polling through the vCenter then I would recommend looking at the hardware tab in vCenter for this node to determine what hardware information is available to be monitored. If the RAID controller is not listed in the vCenter for this node then that would explain why it's not shown in SAM.