7 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 2:52 PM by justinh RSS

Orion server template broken?

justinh

Using SAM 5.0, the included Orion Server template, when applied to my Orion server (Orion Core 2011.2.0, APM 4.2.0 SP1, IPAM 2.0.1, NCM 7.0, NPM 10.2, IVIM 1.2.0) shows the " SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor" as down.  Is it looking for a service with that name or is there an underlying filename that it can't find?  What can I do to fix this?  I need something to monitor my Orion server because of a bug there.

/jh

• Re: Orion server template broken?
    aLTeReGo

I'm confused. Are you running SAM 5.0 or APM 4.2 SP1? The Orion server template has been updated in SAM 5.0 to account for recent service changes. Starting with Orion NPM 10.2 and later the Network Performance Monitor Service is no longer installed. If you're using an older version of this application template you can safely delete or disable this component monitor.

justinh

I wondered when I posted if that would cause confusion, but let it ride.  I'm monitoring an Orion box with the above specs from another box running SAM 5.0 stand-alone.  So what you're saying is that the listing for that service is no longer necessary and I can remove it?  I don't need to replace it or point it towards another service name?

aLTeReGo

The Orion server template that's included in SAM 5.0 has been updated to support the latest version or Orion which no longer includes monitoring of the Network Performance Monitor server. It's likely your SAM 5.0 server was upgraded from a previous version of APM which might explain why the template was not the latest. I've uploaded this updated Orion application template to the Content Sharing Zone. By default it monitors all critical services used by all Orion modules.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-167085

justinh

How do I "install" this?  Simply putting it in DefaultTemplates doesn't seem to do anything.

aLTeReGo

You can import this template using SAM's in product Thwack integration under [Settings -> SAM Settings -> Shared thwack Templates]. Alternatively you can download the template to your desktop and import it from Manage Application Monitor Templates. Once the template has been downloaded/imported you can assign it to your node/s the same as any of the out-of-the-box application templates.

Bronx

This page will help you import your template. Hope this helps.

justinh

Thank you, both.  Got it done.