2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 10:22 AM by th3cap3 RSS

How do You Monitor Solarwinds?

bobross

I'd like to find out what monitor schemes other people/shops use for their Solarwinds servers.  Since many of us rely on Solarwinds products to tell us when our network, servers, SANs, etc. have problems, I think its important to make sure that the Solarwinds environment itself is healthy from top to bottom.

We rely heavily on APM (haven't gone live with SAM yet, unfortunately) to keep apprised of the health of our Solarwinds servers.

For our particular setups we have VMWare ESXi hosts running on Dell equipment with the Solarwinds server(s) as a guest.  We start with a basic NPM monitor on the DRAC, which verifies that the DRAC is up and connected to the network.  From there we add the VMWare host with the default NPM monitoring available using ESXi credentials (we're running the free version so no SNMP for us).  Finally we have the Solarwinds server itself added as its own node.  For some of our environments we have added additional servers for SQL, Pollers, web consoles, etc. as the need arises and each of these are added as well.

We currently have templates in place on the main Solarwinds server to monitor the following:

IIS Service

Orion Services

SMTP Service (we have external servers that are on networks we don't control)

Unmanage Monitors (occasionally an unmanage window will overrun it's end time)

Windows Server Monitor template

We are hoping to add monitors for the SQL Server and Windows updates as well.  We also have monitors on our internal Solarwinds server which uses HTTPS monitors to verify that the external servers are up.

So far this setup has served us well, but we are looking to expand the monitors for the Solarwinds environment to provide a more inclusive and verbose schema to ensure that the Solarwinds utilities are functioning properly.

I'm hoping to expand the VMWare monitoring for our environments in addition to those monitoring Solarwinds itself.  I'm also looking forward to the expanded hardware monitoring available in SAM5, which will provide massive improvements on its own.

So, what monitoring setup do you use for Solarwinds and why?  If you have been relying on any templates available in the content exchange please let us know those as well.

Thanks in advance for you input.

• Re: How do You Monitor Solarwinds?
    netlogix

I have a log file parser that look in "\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\swdebugMaintenance.log" for "] ERROR ".  That lets me know if the nightly maintenance job ever has errors.  I never looked in there till I had an issue that took about 6 months till it got big and ugly, but if I took care of it the day or week it started, it would have been simple.

• Re: How do You Monitor Solarwinds?
    th3cap3

We had an issue where network performance was affected by nightly backups which in turn affected the update effeciancy of our Solarwinds NPM server. We tied in our Alerts Dashboard by querying the Solarwinds database for the most recently updated entries and set it up so an alarm was generated if the time difference between latest update and current time was more than 6 minutes. This will also help us detect issues with the SQL server/database as well as service on the Orion server itself getting hosed up.

I think you could probably do something similar through scripting (like VB or maybe powershell) that will let you poll the database in a similar fashion, maybe have it send you an e-mail if it detects something fishy is going on.