7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 11:14 AM by Yossarian RSS

Problem adding snmp V2C to Bluecoat Proxy SG600

torenhof

Hello All,

I have tried to add the Bluecoat Proxy SG600 device in my Solarwinds NMP, but I can never get it up and running for it.

I've enabled the SNMP and added a community string for read-write and read only in the GUI of the Bluecoat Proxy.

Every time I want to connect to the device from the Solarwinds NPM, I get the result that the test failed.

Is anybody aware of any problems with bluecoat and SNMP?

Or is it just not a good idea performing this from the GUI and not from CLI?

Thanks and regards

Torenhof

• Re: Problem adding snmp V2C to Bluecoat Proxy SG600
    Yossarian

Hi, do you have the device set up correctly? For example, some devices needs settings read-only community string with IP that is allowed to connect to this device.

There is also tool - in NPM, snmpwalk (since 10.2). If you run it from Orion against the device, it can tell you more why the test failed (the connection is blocked by firewall/device doesn't respond on given port, bad community string, some other mistake..)

Regards

torenhof

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I've downloaded the SNMPWalk app from ORION, but I'm not realy sure what I need to fill out in the ROOT OID field?

Anyway it's not working on the device, it's telling me 0 OID's, timed out

regards

Yossarian

The tool is used for doing SNMP walk, and Root OID is OID which is taken first. It doesn't matter in this case, as I thought that it would only give meaningful answer what is wrong.

Timeout means that the Bluecoat device doesn't answer in time. There can be lot of reasons I can think out (in order of probability - my guess):

1. The device is configured not to respond to Orion's IP. Some devices may be configured to respond to SNMP only from specific nodes. Adding Orion's IP would help
        2. The device isn't responding on SNMP port 161 - correct the configuration of device
        3. There is firewall somewhere on the way from Orion to device blocking it
        4. (least probable) the device reports is broken, and cannot respond to SNMP.

I'd advice you to check if the device is set up well, and then communication - run (if possible) wireshark/tcpdump on the device, on Orion, and see if the communication gets through or not.

Regards,

-- Vita, NPM developer

jonnybeggs

Did you enable SNMP under the management services (separate to the actual SNMP configuration option) ?

I had the same problem as you describe, where I had the SNMP community set with the ACL only allowing access from my solar winds server etc but the test would always fail. Until I found you had to enable the actual SNMP service on the box.

sdg007

I'm having the exact same problem. I have an SG600, and it does not respond to the SNMP get requests. Packet captures on both sides show the request being sent from Orion and being received by the Blue Coat.  Everything looks to be configured and enabled correctly and there is no FW in the way. Any ideas?

Yossarian

I've looked it up, and Orion is able to add (== passes the SNMP test) only nodes, that respond to the sysObjectID OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2). Is your device responding to this one?

If not, it cannot be easily added into Orion. (BTW, not responding to this OID is violation of SNMP protocol, as, AFAIK, it is mandatory. doesn't your vendor has any firmware update?)

Regards

-- Vita