This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Link to filtered alerts

I'm trying to find a way to provide a link to the Alerts page, but with filtered options selected.  Sometimes a situation will cause several alerts to trigger at the same time, and it'd be nice for emails to go straight to a page showing only the alerts for that specific alert.  If you're on a phone, it can be a pain and time consuming to try to select the appropriate filters from the lists and refresh.

• Unless something has changed I don't believe this is possible today.  I created reports for specific alert types and then put them into different views.  However if someone clicks on the alert in my report page it takes them to the unfiltered list you referred to.

• We include the link to the resource (Node, Volume, Interface, Application, or Component) that is affected in the alert email.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem that you're trying to fix though.

• If I receive an email for "Alert me when a node goes down", then I'd like to click a link and see how many alerts are active for "Alert me when a node goes down".  Right now, all I can do is go to http://servername/Orion/NetPerfMon/Alerts.aspx and hit the Alert Name drop down box, scroll through and find the right alert, check the "Show Acknowledged Alerts" check box, and click Refresh.  That's a real pain, especially when you're on a phone.

The HTML "name" of the drop box is "ctl00$ctl00$BodyContent$ContentPlaceHolder1$alerts$alerts", and the alert's value is "b1cbf6ca-4b57-4e4a-a347-1d02608f027d".  So it would be nice if I could show all of those alerts with:

http://servername/Orion/NetPerfMon/Alerts.aspx?ctl00$ctl00$BodyContent$ContentPlaceHolder1$alerts$alerts=b1cbf6ca-4b57-4e4a-a347-1d02608f027d

It would be relatively trivial to allow that GET request to work instead of only allowing POST requests.  Actually, it would be really nice if you had the ability to acknowledge the alert and be forwarded to the alert page showing similar alerts.

• There is a pretty limited number of alerts that can actually triggered.  It would take a little setup, but you could use 's suggestion of putting together views for reports.  I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it might be workable for you.  Also, we recently started using Acknowledge links in the alert email.  I wasn't part of that project and I'm not at work to look at the alert logic, but it is possible to include a link to acknowledge an alert right in the email itself... unfortunately, it just takes you to the alerts page like you are currently experiencing.

If you do come up with a good solution please post it up as we could make use of a similar solution in our environment.

• We have a relatively large installation with ~30 different alerts that text people's phones.  Creating a report for each of those would be cumbersome and it wouldn't allow one to acknowledge other alerts at the same time (such as if 10 devices alerted at once) by just hitting Select All and Acknowledge.

On the topic of including acknowledge links in the emails, we've done this from the beginning.  But we can't use the acknowledge URL variable because the name of our Internet accessible web server isn't the same as our primary poller.  We have to craft things using multiple variable names depending on the type of thing being alerted, which is something of a pain.  It'd be nice if they made a variable you could slap onto a servername to make things simple.