8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 6:10 PM by JedTheHead RSS

Disk space alerting in APM

JedTheHead

This topic has a lot of action in the forums, and I *think* I have read them all.. however, I am still not convinced what I am trying to do is impossible.  We presently have a "Disk Space % Free" component we created for Win 2003-2008 using WMI and this counter:

SELECT PercentFreeSpace FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk

...and this works GREAT if you only have one disk in the system.  If you have multiple disks (esp. in case of a server attached to many LUNs) this counter actually takes the TOTAL disk space and provides the TOTAL disk space free percentage.   In other words, the server in the attached screen shot (below) is considered fine - the counter is "green" and healthy. The reality is that it is not - it has two disks "in the red" and one soon to be. The alternatives I have seen involve creating a separate app / component for each disk in the system, which seems like a lot of extra work and polling.

APM knows about this condition (as seen below).  Is it not possible to create an alert on this?

Thanks!!!

Jed

• Re: Disk space alerting in APM
    Andy McBride

Is this what you are looking for?

bobross

Any reason why you aren't relying on NPM to alert on volumes as shown in Andy's post above?

I'm aware of NPM showing odd values for *nix drive space, but we haven't encountered any problems with Windows drives on APM.

JedTheHead

Bob Ross!  I had no idea you were on Thwack!  Happy Little Trees indeed!

Um, yeah... because apparently we are idiots and completely overlooked that.  I think many other people have as well considering the traffic on Thwack for "disk space".

Thanks!

Jed

JedTheHead

Thanks for pointing out what we had obviously missed!  :)

JedTheHead

Just to expand on this for anyone else playing with disk space....

We have many active / passive clusters.  As can be seen in the screen shot below, some disks (i.e. K:, N:, and Q:) appear to be "empty" or "not complete" when in fact these are just disks active on the other node.  In the case of Q:, this is the cluster quorum disk. 

So... we wanted to ignore these on the passive nodes yet alert on them on the active nodes.  In looking in our database, the "Volume Percent Used" for these disks appeared consistently on the passive nodes as "-2" and appear normal (and "complete") on the active nodes. Thus, our alert for disk space now looks like this:

Seems to be working well so far.  Tomorrow, we failover a cluster to see what happens.

JedTheHead

...one other note.  In the database I did NOT see a field for "Volume Percent Available", but it is available to choose in the alert manager.  My feeble brain tells me that the system would have to perform a calculation (albeit a tiny one) to determine "Volume Percent Available" from "Volume Percent Used" - so we went with just using "Volume Percent Used" assuming it is more efficient. 

Hopefully all of the above makes up for my lack of reading earlier ;)

Thanks all!