13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 7:08 AM by tomb RSS

APM 4.2 Beta 2 feedback on HTTP content matching and JMX.

aaronh

Hello,

We are liking what we see so far in the new version of APM. Native JMX support is nice to see, as well as the ability to add descriptions and comments to each component in a template.

Some of the things we've noticed so far that we have questions and/or suggestions for:

• HTTP content matching is string only. I'd love to see RegEx. It's something my users request frequently.
  • HTTP/HTTPS monitoring - We have many requests for the ability to add headers and POST data to the request.
  • JMX - How does APM handle a response that is a rate, and how would you graph on it. If we're polling an mbean that is for requests/sec for a particular valve or something similar, it would be nice be able to tell APM what kind of data is coming back, similar to some of the UnDP pollers for SNMP.
  • JMX - Is it possible to execute an operation from this monitor and read the response?

I'll be sure to update as we have more questions/comments.

Thanks!

Aaron

• Re: APM 4.2 Beta 2 feedback on HTTP content matching and JMX.
    martin.susil

Hello,

thank you for the feedback.

Regarding JMX questions - polling and charting just increment since the previous poll is currently not supported. Also in this release we support read-only operations only - so it is not possible to invoke function over JMX to read results.

How important is this missing functionality in your environment? Do you have a lot of MBeans with rate counters? Do you often need to invote remote operations to get results?

Thank you

aaronh

JMX invoking an operation is more of a 'nice to have' than a requirement at this point, but it is something that I will see more requests for in the future.

The RegEx content matching in HTTP content monitors and the ability to add POST data and headers to HTTP/HTTPS monitors are the really important features at this time. Adding these would really help us drive additional adoption of APM in our environment.

aaronh

Do you have a lot of MBeans with rate counters?

Yes, we do have a lot MBeans with rate counters, so this is an important piece of functionality for us.

netlogix

Here is a way to use powershell to grab a web page and to a regex look in it:

$URL = 'https://${IP}/'
        $REGEX = '(line 1)(.|\n)*(line 12)'

# Ignore Certificate errors
        [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::ServerCertificateValidationCallback = {$true}

#Create Object to access web page
        $client = new-object System.Net.WebClient

#Pull web page into string variable
        $Data = $client.DownloadString($URL)

#Compare to regex
        If ([regex]::IsMatch($Data,$REGEX)) {
          'Statistic: 0'
          exit 0
        } else {
          'Statistic: 1'
          exit 1
        }

It would be nicer if it was built in, but hey at least the framework is flexible...

aaronh

It would be nicer if it was built in, but hey at least the framework is flexible...

Agreed. Thanks for the powershell script. We've done something similar in perl before.

I also received some additional feedback from other people in my org that have done testing of APM 4.2 Beta.

1.     "Initial JMX implementation looks very solid; no major issues in the limited work I did with it;

a.      The JMX Mbean browser is an outstanding and very powerful tool.

b.     I’d highly recommend linking to this directly from the APM template component creation for convenience (it’s currently kind of hard to find).

2.       More generally, JMX and other APM statistics needs to be able to be counted as a rateor gauge, similar to the way SNMP calculates rate of change in counters. (I think we're detecting a theme here :)

3.       It would be great to have an SMNP MIB browser similar to what was implemented for the JMX browser."

aaronh

Normal   0           false   false   false     EN-US   X-NONE   X-NONE                                  MicrosoftInternetExplorer4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Not sure where that came from.

kristina

The UI is very simple, and it was easy enough to get this working, though we also had to add the -Dcom.sun.management.snmp.acl.file=<pathtosnmp.acl>\snmp.acl to get this working with Tomcat on Windows.

We have some custom MBeans that we'd like to read the values for, and it looks like we'd have to create a custom MIB to make this work. Any suggestions on a simple approach, or a tool, that would make this happen without having to recompile our application code?

aLTeReGo

HTTP content matching is string only. I'd love to see RegEx. It's something my users request frequently.

That's correct, content matching is string only but this is the same behavior as APM 4.0.2 and not something new to APM 4.2. I've added this to the list of feature requests to be considered in a future release. 

HTTP/HTTPS monitoring - We have many requests for the ability to add headers and POST data to the request.

What exactly do you mean when you say "add headers"? Are you referring to Host Headers in the HTTP/HTTPS request? Also, what kind of data are you trying to "Post"? Is this HTML form data?

aaronh

That's correct, content matching is string only but this is the same behavior as APM 4.0.2 and not something new to APM 4.2. I've added this to the list of feature requests to be considered in a future release.

Thanks for adding it to the feature requests. I knew this was the same as before, but it doesn't seem like an overly complicated change, and would go a long way to moving more people to APM in my org.

What exactly do you mean when you say "add headers"? Are you referring to Host Headers in the HTTP/HTTPS request? Also, what kind of data are you trying to "Post"? Is this HTML form data?

For headers, I'm speaking about Host and HTTP headers. POST data we would use are JSON blobs, SOAP envelopes and HTML form data to name a few.