This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco WLC Backup with NCM 6.1

Hi,

Has anyone actually backed up Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers (WLC) via NCM?  I am running 6.1.

J

• Absolutely, and it works like a charm.  I backup numerous WLC's, some in a DMZ, others on the internal network, using this script:

<!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->
    <!--Copyright 2005 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->
    <Configuration-Management Device="Cisco WLC Updated" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069">
      <Commands>                       
      <Command Name="RESET" Value=""/>                      
      <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show run-config"/>
      <Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="transfer upload mode ${TransferProtocol}${CRLF} transfer upload serverip ${StorageAddress}${CRLF} transfer upload filename ${StorageFilename}${CRLF}transfer upload start"/>
      <Command Name="PreCommand" Value="y"/>
     </Commands>
    </Configuration-Management>

Best of luck!

Rick

• Support provided the following, not sure if either will provide what is needed to do a full restore in case of a failure and a hardware swap occurs.

<!-- edited with Notepad by "Bill"-->
    <!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->
    <!--Copyright 2005 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->
    <Configuration-Management Device="Cisco WLC" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.1.1.4.4">
        <Commands>
            <Command Name="Reset" Value=""/>
            <Command Name="PreCommand" Value="y"/>
            <Command Name="MenuBased" Value="false"/>
            <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show run-config"/>
            <Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="transfer upload datatype config${CRLF} transfer upload filename ${StorageFilename}${CRLF} transfer upload serverip ${StorageAddress}${CRLF} transfer upload start${CRLF}y"/>
            <Command Name="More" Value=" or "/>
            <Command Name="Version" Value="show sysinfo"/>

</Commands>
    </Configuration-Management>

• Have you really looked at what is downloaded with your template?  I believe what is needed to perform a restore is "sh run-config commands" and not just "sh run-config".

• Marie is awfully quick on that "suggested answer" trigger.

• Hi Jon--

Thx for your feedback. 

So you know, I  will mark a solid suggestion as a suggested answer. Sometimes a thread contains several potential answers and I then try to determine the best of those to keep suggested answers to a minimum.  Both your and Rick have reasonable answers in this thread. I can't remember which one I suggested and it looks like you've unsuggested all of them.

If the answer doesn't work, community members are welcome to unsuggest the answer like you have done. We just ask that you provide a reason as to why (i.e. it didn't work).

Also, you can suggest your own post as an answer, which might be a good for your last answer about using sh run-config commands vs. just the sh run-config.

HTH,

M

• That script worked like a champ.

Many thanks!

• Hi jdriskill--

Would you mind specifying which script solved your situation by verifying the answer?  Just helps the community to know which answers worked for other members of the community!

Thanks!
    DH

• I found the script posted by john0966 was the one I needed to use in order for running/startup configs to be backed up properly.  We have NCM 7.1 here and it comes pre-packaged with the script rschroeder pasted first, but this wasn't working very well.  Hope that helps, it's a little late but should confirm for all emoticons_happy.png

• The reply by john0966 worked for me as well.

I tired the one fro rschroeder first but it failed - packet capture showed that NCM was not sending the command to tell the WLC to continue downloading when it pauses during its output.

• Curious if you got it to work with NCM 7.1.  I will be troubleshooting this issue today with a client, and any heads up would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zak Kahl

Loop1 Systems

Http://www.loop1systems.com