5 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 4:32 PM by cmgurley RSS

Unmanage period extension

saw_bah

An application, and maybe a node not sure, that is unmanaged, was set for a period of time.  However, if we want to extend that time of unmanaged, then we have to remanage, then unmanage and set the new date / time for the new period.  

I think that if a node or app is unmanaged, I should be able to see what the time period of the unmanaged state is and edit those properties as needed.  I do not see where that is possible.  I was thinking that a new tab would appear in Assigned Applications Monitor section, next to delete when you select an unmanaged application.  Unmanaged properties or edit unmanaged time period..  Need something.

• Re: Unmanage period extension
    cmgurley

I was just looking for this myself. We need to be able to click "Unmanage" again and modify the end date/time while we are still within the unmanage window. In my case, I'm patching a vSphere cluster and won't finish before the unmanage window expires (I was overly optimistic ), but rather than flooding my Orion event log with remanage/unmanage events, it would be nice for Orion to allow updating of the active window.

SW Staff / Orion Team: can we have this added in a future update?

Thanks.

bshopp

Have you look at using the unmanage utility scheduler app we ship under advanced tools?

cmgurley

For doing one-off (unscheduled/nonrecurring) unmanaging of devices? That seems like a lot of work & more penalizing than re/un, since I'd have to RDP to my Orion NPM server, open the utility, create a new task, add the item, set the duration, save the task to Windows Task Scheduler, open Windows Task Scheduler, and then run the task. Or have I missed a function of scheduler that edits existing/active unmanage settings on node(s)?

We also use Microsoft System Center Operations Manager here, and when we put a system in maintenance mode, we can go back to that same system while it is "unmanaged" (SW equivalent of MS maint mode), click "Edit" and change the maintenance mode duration shorter/longer.

Does that make sense? Apologies if I didn't properly explain the use case initially. And just for context, since Orion is a web-based product and we operate it (with the exception of core setting changes) from the browser, I think I and other users tend to look for frequently used actions in the web console, particularly when related actions seem to be there. In this case, just enabling the "Unmanage" button to be clicked again to set new start/end times would be sufficient (assuming that didn't remanage in the process).

Thanks.

bshopp

You should be able to load this tool on your desktop too and connect remotely.  I say should, let me double check

cmgurley

I wouldn't worry about that step (I almost didn't include it). Simply put, *scheduling* a Windows Task for an impromptu unmanaging is crazy (sorry to be blunt, but I don't think we're on the same page). The setup/config for that is far worse than the events we'll get from remanaging and unmanaging via the web interface.

I'll accept it if the answer is that dev doesn't have time to fit that in a near-term update/release, but let's take that utility off the table. It isn't a fit at all for this scenario. Its names (it has two; one in the title bar and one in the "Getting Started" line) alone disqualifie it from this thread--"Task" (creating a Windows task isn't beneficial or worth the work) and "Schedule" (this isn't scheduled; it's already in progress and won't happen again; just needs editing).

Thanks.