19 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 1:56 AM by michal.hrncirik RSS

Custom Property Drop-Down Boxes

jbaulsir

• Re: Custom Property Drop-Down Boxes
    mattjenkins

Id love this feature

byrona

I think I may have opened a feature request for this a while back but I am happy to sign up for it again.  I hate having to rely on people properly filling out free-form fields as many of our alerts rely on the Custom Properties being filled out properly.

Hi All--

Marked for the PM.

M

learyk

How about being able to mark a Custom Property as a required field?

smartd

And be able to set a default value.  Add logical checkboxes.

bshopp

These requests all make complete sense.  My plan is to move custom property editor to the web in time and enhance to handle use cases like allow users to set pick choices in a drop down, mark as required etc.

This will be a huge benefit to our organization when it is implemented.

We would like to be able to:

have a drop down box to choose custom property field values

make certain custom properties mandatory

Set defaults for custom property fields

This is currently the most pressing need that our organization has for Solar Winds.

byrona

I want to plug this one again as a result of frustrations with users filling out custom properties incorrectly resulting in alerts not working properly and NOC Techs not responding properly.

savell

I know I've requested this before, but I'll like to also give this one another plug.

I currently have a daily audit report for our custom properties (via an external report writer) - to at least warn me when a custom property is blank or not a valid value. A drop down list and mandatory/not mandatory control would help a lot.

Dave.

kweise

Add me to the list (again.)  I've seen where Brandon wants to ultimately take this feature request, but in the interim could we at least get the same functionality that was implemented for the snmp community strings when adding a new node?

Thanks,
                  Kevin

ctopaloglu

If my vote effects this feature's implementing process than count me in (+1). But if doesn't then please discard this message.

I am really annoyed to see messages like "I have requested this so called feature before but let me try it again". I have lost fate in SolarWinds really!

bshopp

And we haven't ignored the feature request, we just have a lot of stuff on the plate and just a matter or prioritizing is all.  The great thing about thwack is you all are not shy in telling us what you want, which is tremendous.  I wish I could deliver it all right now, but I cannot.  We are slowly doing updates of many of the tools in the system, examples Network Atlas and System Manager is moving to the web.  I have some mock ups and requirements which were referenced in an earlier post on this thread that will move custom property editor to the web and enhance it with this feedback and others posted here in the community.

ctopaloglu

And we haven't ignored the feature request, we just have a lot of stuff on the plate and just a matter or prioritizing is all.  The great thing about thwack is you all are not shy in telling us what you want, which is tremendous.  I wish I could deliver it all right now, but I cannot.  We are slowly doing updates of many of the tools in the system, examples Network Atlas and System Manager is moving to the web.  I have some mock ups and requirements which were referenced in an earlier post on this thread that will move custom property editor to the web and enhance it with this feedback and others posted here in the community.

Ok this is a good answer. I have a suggestion for you. How about? Make all the feature requests available as top list for each section (like IMDB top 250 movies). And use ranked voting (MVPs vote count as 10, Mine is 2 etc.). For that way no post(vote) is wasted.

What say you Brandon?

smartd

I've asked repeatedly for a feature list / voting feature.  There appears to be no interest in this.  I can't tell you how disappointed I am over features and functions that aren't needed by pre-sales and don't get worked on.

bshopp

This is something high on our list as well, basically an ideas system where people can vote etc.  Just like on the product side, updating things in the web like customer portal, thwack, sw.com etc. all go through a process just like the product do.  Trust me, the PM team has been pushing for this as we see the benefit as well.

ctopaloglu

I've asked repeatedly for a feature list / voting feature.  There appears to be no interest in this.  I can't tell you how disappointed I am over features and functions that aren't needed by pre-sales and don't get worked on.

Ok. This is a tough decision for SolarWinds. If they will do it and for example "multiple ip support for a single node" will be the most requested feature then they will face a big problem. Because this feature is the most wanted and It didn't implemented for like 5 years or more and everybody in this forum and others can realize that they are not really a community driven company.

Orion's power comes from customization. It is true. I have never seen anything like it. You don't have to wait for the new features if you are good at programming(Web, SDK), UnDP, scripting and SQL. You can do almost anything in Orion. And that is fantastic. No other NMS gives that opportunity except free ones like nagios. But truth to be told I am not talented at programming nor SQL. That's why we hired consultants for Orion implementation. They did a pretty good job actually. But I don't want to give any money to them especially for basic features that other NMS has it already. That's why Orion is not consultant free software(IMHO).

I am sorry but feature request is a waste of time in here. I know SolarWinds employees are working really hard and I appreciate them. Especially for purchasing good companies (products) lately. They are the best NMS company without a doubt (for me at least). But Orion lacks off some very fundamental features that we can't live without. When we request an essential feature they can easily say it is on our list and we can't give you a specific time because of our policy. And you will definitely not see on our next release. This is not a good approach! We are customers. We made Orion number one. I think we deserve more than that. I feel stupid everytime when I request a feature. I will continue to do it because I still have hope. :)

Sure they have a list with the most wanted features but it is a confidential list. Maybe one of us will do a web page with the most requested features. That way we can see the real results.

Careful SolarWinds other companies working too hard to fulfill your weak sides.

We tried WUG 15 and it is super fast. They have copied Orion's design (the best in the business) which makes the product looks good. And the user interface seems very promising. If I don't have Orion right now I'll go with WUG. It is also cheaper.

We also tried Manageengine's OpManager. They are very cheap and fast. And they did all of our feature requests in a month :). I am also very satisfied with OpUtils (It is like UDT combine with eng toolset). But OpManager is not so stable (for now) and doesn't have an intuitive interface like Orion.

Cisco will go prime! And they have a UDT too. But it actually works unlike the new UDT module from SolarWinds. As you already know some people are using CiscoWorks just for the UDT bar which locates on the task bar. And we are one of them! But you still don't care when we request a UDT search bar for the windows task bar.

Microsoft will release SCOM 2012 soon. They will monitor network equipments as well as other components (Synthetic User Transaction, avicode , Unix etc.). 

Last but not least please consider the workflow of yours. Hire some good noc engineers, work with them and they will show the mistakes you made in network management. Or use us! We are free! Consider our experiences.

Time to change your policy!

Another good forum discussion is Too Many Modules

bshopp

First, thanks for the honest and candid feedback, we actually really do appreciate it!  

I am sorry but feature request is a waste of time in here.

I promise you, they are not a waste of time.   Myself and the other Product Managers are on here every single day looking at and responding to posts.  There are a lot of passionate and active users of Orion on here and as much as I wish I could do every single feature request right now, I can't.  Some items are easier and we add those in as quickly as we can and some may sound easy, but due to some technical dependencies or some other reason are not and take a little while longer.  We did a post for 10.1, which you can see Orion NPM 10.1…you asked, we listened!, which talked about the features we added that the community had a hand in.  

Last but not least please consider the workflow of yours. Hire some good noc engineers, work with them and they will show the mistakes you made in management. Or use us! We are free! Consider our experiences.

• Is the UI perfect? No.  
                              • Do we need to work on enhancing some of the workflow and usability within products and between products?  Yes.  

As a part of any given release, we the Product Managers write up the requirements which we pass off to our UI team.  They in turn put together some mock ups that we then put in front of customers for feedback.  We take that feedback and make the appropriate changes and go into Development.  Once we have working code, we go back and show those users and give them control of our machines and see where they fall down, what works, what doesn't etc. and continue to iterate on this into Beta and RC.  Our UX or User Experience folks have been on thwack quit a bit lately asking for sessions with folks to get their feedback on products, see Interested in trying out IPAM?--Let us watch your first use and win a gift certificate!, Are you currently using User Device Tracker (UDT) in your environment?  Want to give us some feedback on search and other features?and Want to provide feedback on new integration features?—Participate in a quick interview this week! for a few examples.  We would love to have you and any other person out there with feedback to let us know and we can schedule some time to discuss and document that feedback.  

The Product Management team also has a blog where we discuss new features and invite people into Beta's and Release Candidates, Orion NPM vNext Sign Up for Beta & – Tell us what you think on the feature Multi-CPU Pollingis a post I recently did talking about a new feature coming in NPM vNext and inviting people to give us feedback on the beta.

When we request an essential feature they can easily say it is on our list and we can't give you a specific time because of our policy. And you will definitely not see on our next release. That is not a good approach! We are customers.

You are correct, you are the customer and we do our best to respect that relationship we have with you.  We try and give our customers visibility into what we know has a good chance of making it into the next release What We Are Working On.  Denny wrote a good post giving more background into this, you can see that Fear and Loathing of Roadmaps: Why your PM won’t give you a date.  The last thing any of us want to do is lie to you.  I have seen and been apart of companies where people tell the customer "sure, go ahead and buy now or renew your maintenance, as you can see by this roadmap slide we are doing that item in 3 releases from now."  9 times out of 10, did it happen?  No.  Things change.  Within the market (i.e. new technologies or gear), customers priorities etc.

I hope that none of this comes across as defensive as it is not meant to be, but instead shed some light that we are listening and do care about what ya'll have to say and think.  Also, I may have pointed out some links and resources you had not seen before.  

I have spoken to many of you on thwack, via email or phone and in person at Cisco Live.  I am more than happy to talk with you or anyone else that might be reading this that would like to give us some feedback on the product and how we can do better as an organization.  We are constantly looking how we can improve our products, our processes, our community etc.  If you are interested in chatting, you can post here or you can direct message me via thwack anytime.  

smartd

I've given this example to the PMs several times.  We use Yammer internally for out-of-band trouble discussions in the NOC.  They have a feature voting system run by uservoice.com.  You can see it at http://yammer.uservoice.com.  Its absolutely ideal.

ctopaloglu was right on the money about the multiple IP problem.  I built a universal poller and a table resource to make a list of IPs on a device, but its not very intuitive.  Having to "ignore" all the IPs, and then having almost NO tools to manage the thousands of devices and IPs in the Ignore list is a killer.  

If it will actually be used, I would be willing to list all the issues we have with the current product, with the renewed hope that some will addressed in future releases.

I really like NPM and Netflow.  IPAM needs integration with NPM before its fully useful.  NCM is a whole other story-- I guess its a good product for Cisco users.  Lets just say I'm using RANCID now.

-=Dan=-

michal.hrncirik

thanks for all your feedback -a as I posted here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/171331#171331

This is something requested more and more so we are going to reconsider the priority of this customer request. thanks for your patience!