This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I change Trap Template for Send SNMP Trap in Advanced Alerts?

Hi,

I'm running Orion NPM v10.0 SP1 and I have some advanced alerts for sending SNMP Traps to another station other then Orion Server.

While setting up the "Edit SNMP Trap Action", I set the SNMP Trap Destinations, SNMP Community String and also I set up an Alert Message and set the Trap Template to ForwardSyslog (See the picture below).

The problem I have is thatI receive the traps on the remote station with a NL (new line) character on the Alert Message field (although I've checked a million times the Alert Message for new line characters), which is causing troubles while parsing the traps. Is this problem occuring due to the Trap Template (ForwardSyslog) ?

What can I do to remove the blank lines at the end of Alert Messages? Is there a way to create another SNMP Trap Template and set it up sa Trap Template in SNMP Trap Action?

Thanks all,

Cosmin

• I'm surprised that nobody answered your question since 2010.

The template can be edited using Solarwinds Engineer toolset (has to be purchased separately from NPM)

If you have a bit of Indiana Jones in you, you can try to manually edit ForwardSyslog.trap file located in %program files%\Solarwinds\Orion\

If you consider this question closed, please mark it as answered. If not, do not hesitate to elaborate so we can help you better emoticons_happy.png

Regards!

• planglois wrote:

I'm surprised that nobody answered your question since 2010.

The template can be edited using Solarwinds Engineer toolset (has to be purchased separately from NPM)

If you have a bit of Indiana Jones in you, you can try to manually edit ForwardSyslog.trap file located in %program files%\Solarwinds\Orion\

If you consider this question closed, please mark it as answered. If not, do not hesitate to elaborate so we can help you better emoticons_happy.png

Regards!

How do I go about editing the trap template using the Orion toolset?

• In Engineering toolset, look for the "SNMP Trap editor", then load the forwardsyslog.trap file from your main Orion directory. You will then be able to change the order of the information contained in the trap, and add new items (with variables). If you are sending traps to another system, you might want to edit (manually) the MIB file, so they are able to interpret the information you are sending.

Hope this helps!

• We are trying to edit the Forwardsyslog.trap file, using the SNMP Trap Editor tool. It's easy enough to use and add/modify lines. However, we are unable to make the tool use the modified SolarWinds-Traps.mib file. It seems we can only choose from .mib file that seems to be built in to the application. And that means we're limited and cannot use the new fields we add to (or modify existing) in the SolarWinds-Traps.mib.

Does anyone know what we're missing here?

Thanks in advance!