This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Change SMTP server in all alerts

I have found a few posts regarding this but none of them seem to work.  Our SMTP server is changing and the old one will only be live for about a week.  I need a way to update the SMTP server IP from the Database for each alert action.  I tried running the SWAlertNotify program as referenced here  and that does not alter any current alerts.  I work for an MSP and we multiple servers running Orion with alert counts of over 300 so altering each alert is not a viable option except as a last resort.

I have looked at the database for all tables referencing Alert and I can see where I can change the To or From email addresses but nowhere have I seen the SMTP server address.

Worst case I can install Visual Studio and query the entire DB to try and find the SMTP IP and find it from there but I would think this would be a documented setting somewhere.

Thanks,

• i have the same problem and would also like to see a solution to this

seems that users have alread complained about this 2 years ago but still no solution, or am i mistaking ?

• Howdy--

I've marked this for the Product Manager to get it added to the feature request list if it isn't already.

M

• A quick and dirty solution is to either add a CNAME or another A record in your DNS with old name if you're using the server name in your alerts.

Just a thought.

• A quick followup on this solution.  If you don't have control of DNS you could also make a host entry with the old server name on the machine itself.  Be sure to document that though.

I'm not a fan host entries, bu tthey can be useful in certain situations.

• It would be great if specifying multiple SMTP servers is possible.  I have redundant routes for some servers so this would help me out for sure.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to scottshipley

good idea dude!!!  other tools have that, even Kiwi cattools...

the SMTP route should be specified outside the alert, somewhere more global, and indeed have a backup route with a time out

cheers

dan

• Apparently SolarWinds just doesn't care about this issue.  It's ridiculous that we spend so much money on a company that just doesn't listen to it's users.  I've worked with other monitoring software and all have global settings for smtp servers.  At this point I can't recommend SolarWinds with all it's flaws.  Adding a CNAME to DNS is not a solution but a work around.

• sstokic-

I hear your frustration here. I will email the PM and ask him to get back to you promptly to address your issues.

Thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve and it is listened to.

M

• you could use SQL like this:

Use NetPerfMon
    UPDATE    [ActionDefinitions]
    SET       [ActionDefinitions].[Target] = cast(REPLACE(cast([ActionDefinitions].[Target] as varchar(500)),'SMTPServer:1.1.1.1','SMTPServer:2.2.2.2') as Text)
    FROM      [ActionDefinitions]
    Where     [ActionDefinitions].[Target] like '%SMTPServer:1.1.1.1%'

• netlogix, thanks for your post.

We talked with SW development and below is a script to try to replace an SMTP Server. Please note the following:

• Run any backups to protect your system before running this query.
    • The file attached should only target alerts actions that have an SMTPserver specified.
    • Changes are done on pattern matching basis. This means that for instance if you change ‘SMTPServer’ to ‘SMTPSERVER_1,’ this will unfortunately also affect any server that might have been named ‘SMTPSERVER1’ , ‘SMTPSERVER2’ , which will be renamed to ‘SMTPSERVER_11’, ‘SMTPSERVER_12’, etc.

/****** Script for SelectTopNRows command from SSMS  ******/

declare @oldServerName As Varchar(255)

declare @newServerName As Varchar(255)

set @oldServerName = 'localhost2'

set @newServerName = 'localhost'

update [dbo].[ActionDefinitions] set [Target]  = REPLACE(CAST( [Target] AS VARCHAR(MAX)),'SMTPSERVER:'+@oldServerName,'SMTPSERVER:'+@newServerName) WHERE Target like '%SMTPSERVER:%'

select * from [ActionDefinitions]

Please post back with your feedback after you use this. 

Thanks,

M