This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help with Custom Alert for BGP Status Table

I am trying to setup an Alert to notify me if the BGP status of a Peer goes to Active. Right now I have downloaded the custom poller from here -->

That poller has a table which displays the name of the BGP peer along with the state of the BGP session like so. 

I want to setup an Alert trigger so I get notified when the peer goes to Active. I cannot find or create a condition that will enable me to do this. Is this even possible? Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• I trigger my BGP alerts using Syslog

• To do that you need to setup an alert something like this.

Set "Type of Property to Monitor" to "Custom Node Poller"

Trigger Alert when all of the folling apply

Poller Name is equal to (Poller Name)

Numeric Status is equal to "3" (that should be the "Active" state)

To put that info in an email message the 2 variables are

${CustomPollerStatus.RowID} and ${CustomPollerStatus.Status}

But that will sent you the whole table you have for BGP and it is hard to see what BGP peer is failing.  I have yet to find a way to filter out the peers that are not in a failed state.

• To eliminate the receipt of the entire table, insert a custom SQL variable into your message instead of ${CustomPollerStatus.RowID} and ${CustomPollerStatus.Status}.

e.g. / ${SQL: Select RowID from CustomPollerStatus where CustomPollerAssignmentID='${CustomPollerAssignmentID}' and Rawstatus=3}

• Forgot to mention a caveat: UNDP Table based alerts stop at the first match, so you can either opt to receive the entire table or the 1st matching row. I know SW is looking at an enhancement which will fix this in a future release.

• viol8tor and lasher, thanks for the suggestions!

mschwen, did those suggestions work for you?

-Craig

• It's not possible to set up a loop so it goes out and returns each row that meets the RawStatus of 3 until it hits the end?  Is that a SQL limitation or an Alert limitation?

I only ask because I have to do something similar but with hard drive status.