21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 10:04 AM by macnugetz RSS

IPv6 support

simonpt

Where does IPv6 support sit in the ipMonitor roadmap?  Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

I hadn't been too concerned about this previously, but today I attended an industry summit on the topic.  IPv4 address exhaustion is real and probably closer than we think.  The experts in our part of the world estimate our RIR will run out of addresses to allocate around mid next year.  Organisations are well advised to be proactive and begin transitioning towards IPv6 now rather than leaving it until a crisis hits and trying to deal with it then.  This came from none other than Vint Cerf, Google's Chief Internet Evangelist and the father of the internet.

I'm interested to know if ipMonitor will be able to keep pace with us as we transition to IPv6, or will it be relegated to monitoring IPv4 devices only for the foreseeable future?

Thanks - Simon

• Re: IPv6 support
    bshopp

This is an active enhancement we have in the system.  Demand drives priority.  So it would be interesting to hear from others, if and when  you are moving to IPv6.  When are ya'll planning to move Simon?

simonpt

We're still in the planning stage, but we look like we'll do a dual-stack implementation, eg. run IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously on each device, until IPv4 goes away.  We're just waiting on a software release for our core switch to enable IPv6 routing and then we'll get underway.  Can't give you a date just yet, but I hope it will be fairly soon.

bshopp

OK cool, keep me posted as your plans evolve

warbird

Hello,

Can you give us a date on when Orion will have IPv6 support?  My Engineers are turning up IPv6 soon and are wanting to move my management network into it first.  I have a large Orion implementation and have only just begun to look into this.

If this feature is being driven by customer demand then please put me into the "demanding" category.  ;-)

Brandon,

Any updates on a timeline for IPv6 in ipMonitor? We have plans to start enabling IPv6 in our core and a select few buildings this summer.

Thanks,

Chris

christineb

Hi Chris - this is something we're keeping on the road map for a future release.  We are starting to hear more requests for it, and we'd like to hear if more community members need this functionality as well. 

Thanks, 

Christine 

DDX

What is the current status ?
              We really would like to start monitoring ipv6.

jroysdon

Need to get some some traction here.  We have dozens of IPv6 nodes we'd like to monitor directly (Smart Grid APs, Relays, even a sampling of meters).  Right now we have to do it via a shell script running on an IPv6-enabled host, which really doesn't give a lot of good details.

christineb

Thanks for the input. We definitely hear your requests and we're taking note. 

--Christine

jroysdon

Also, to clarify (and perhaps put more weight on this subject), we have over 150,000 IPv6-only smart-meter nodes.  While we don't need to or intend to monitor them with Orion, we do want to monitor the core infrastructure which supports these nodes.  Some of this core infrastructure is IPv6-only.

You're going to find more and more folks doing the same thing we are who will be looking for products to monitor their infrastructure and needing IPv6.  External script hacks are really ugly and don't clearly pinpoint the node having the problem without diving deep into the errors.

Term

We're interested in this as well.  US government requires it on everything now - we ended up using a open source solution on a project instead of ipmonitor for that very reason.

DDX

Any news ?

bshopp

Still on the list of things for the future.  Are ya'll rolling out IPv6 and are you doing pure v6 or dual stack?

DDX

We are already using ipv6 (dual stack) for a while but would like to monitor if websites/servers are running ok on ipv6.

bshopp

Got ya and I am not suggesting that we won't do it, but NPM & SAM currently both support IPv6 if you are looking for another solution in our portfolio.  May be overkill or out of budget for needs, but just an FYI.

DDX

I see 10.7 is released, but still no ipv6 support ?!