7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2009 9:35 AM by Geoo RSS

IP SLA Configuration

I am working in the VoIP Monitor section of Orion and trying to use the configuration wizard to get this set up for our voice group.  I go to VoIP Settings > Settings > Manual Config and find the config instructions at the top of the page. 

I log into one of our routers to be set up as a call path and go into config mode.  It does not allow the command "IP SLA MONITOR" which is the first command in the instructions.  The router is a Cisco 2620XM with ver 12.2-46.

Log into the other two routers and they do not allow the command either although it does atleast allow the IP SLA part, monitor is not a recognized keyword afterwards.  These two routers are Cisco 2851's with ver 12.4-15

Any suggestions for configuring these routers so that I can update the IP SLA OPERATION NUMBERS on the VoIP config?

Thanks

• Re: IP SLA Configuration
    derhally

Your IOS probably requires the rtr commands.  Can you try typing

rtr <operation num>

You can read about configuring the udp jitter operation at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6602/prod_white_paper0900aecd804fb392.pdf

Just make sure you specify the codec.

The RTR command doesnt give me an option to specify a codec but your answer puts me light years ahead of where I was.  Thanks

derhally

What is the full version of your IOS?

If you look at the cisco feature navigator  http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp and look by the name of your imag, that should tell you what type of IP SLA operations it supports.

Call Paths:

#1 cisco 2620XM - c2600-ik9s-mz.122-46.bin

#2 Cisco 2851 - c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.t1.bin

#3 2851 - c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.t1.bin

I am not sure if I am going about this correctly but essentially I am creating a two way conversation between all three devices.  So, I end up with six call paths.

#1 to #2 I am getting no data.

#1 to #3 I am getting no data

#2 to #1 I am getting good data

#2 to #3 I am getting data but it says that I am having 50% packet loss and not sure if that is correct.

#3 to #1 I am getting good data

#3 to #2 I am getting data but it says that I am having 50% packet loss and not sure if that is correct.

I am getting closer to what I would expect that I want.  I am not sure that I believe the 50% packet loss stat.  Any suggestions.. I am open ears.  I am learning quite a bit about VoIP with this project.. and the configurations associated with IP SLAs but I dont know near enough to be confident of what I am doing.

Is it possible that VoIP Monitor is only supported in situation where the router was set up using the IP SLA commands?  One my one node where I had to use the "rtr" commands, it appears to be running but from Orions point of view I get an event that says:

Error "Specified operation does not exist on the router." occurred during polling VoIP Call Path router-rtr01.company.com->other-router (simulation node router-rtr01.company.com [IP ADDRESS])

I used the command reference tool that was suggested and searched on my specific IOS version however it states to use the "IP SLA" command.. There is no such command in my IOS..

derhally

I'm assuming you specified the site's Configuration Mode as "manual".  When you specified the operation number under Manual call paths, did you use the same number as you specified when creating the operation?