8 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2009 9:30 AM by damienball RSS

Energywise Node Scheduling

damienball

Ok, so I can enable, disable, and do basic configuration of energywise on a device/interface.  Is there a way to view and set schedules for energywise power settings via orion NPM?  Maybe i'm missing it, but I don't see a way to do that.  It would be handy to have that as a report or as something that can be added to the Home screen. 

• Re: Energywise Node Scheduling
    denny.lecompte

Not with NPM, but this capability is available in NCM 5.5, which ships at the same time as NPM.  NCM, in case you're not familiar, is Orion Network Configuration Manager.

damienball

Yeah, I have that too.  I just didn't see it.  Is it manual (meaning you have to use a custom script) or is there a tool for it like with configuring energywise in NPM?  I'm new to this.  I've only had it configured for less than a day.

bshopp

So there are a couple things.

1. You can drill down into a port/interface in NPM that is EW Enabled and you can see a Schedule for the week of Power Settings based on what is set on the port and any defined EW Policies.  From here, if you have NCM installed you can edit setting on that switch and port.

2. If you go to Web Node Management and in the Group By select EnergyWise Enabled you can view by ports or devices/nodes and in the top toolbar there is dropdown which have additional energywise functions which take you to a GUI in NCM to enter EW values and NCM build the appropriate command to send to the device/s on the backend.

Hope that helps.  Ping me if not

denny.lecompte

Did you install the NCM integration module on NPM?  If so, then the easiest way is to go to the Node Management section of the web console. 

Go to Admin > Manage Nodes

Group by:  EnergyWise > Select one or more devices that are EnergyWise Capable

On the small menu bar above the list of nodes, you'll see "More Actions".  Click there and select "Manage EnergyWise."

damienball

Yeah, I see what you're talking about now.  What was looking for is how to set the recurrence policies on interfaces in bulk.  Thanks!

I was wondering.  Was any thought given to having a seperate console for energywise management?  It's nice having these tools, and I appreciate that, but if there was a console or a web slice (or whatever you call it for Orion), where i could see or query any energywise functions, and configure or reconfigure them easily, that would be helpful.  I've only used this for about 4 hours, so I don't know how much weight my word has, but it seems a little...disjointed.  Setup of energywise can be done on each switch, but if you want to configure energywise you go to the monitoring system's node management screen to do NCM configuration?  Honestly, I didn't even think to look in there for any kind of configuration settings for anything except how to poll data from devices.

So is NPM essentially the workhorse of Orion?  I guess what i'm saying is if NPM will essentially be the hub where all other plugins are used.  It doesn't look like NCM has any new functionality on the website aside from a graphical overhaul (which looks great by the way).  If that is the case, it makes more sense.

denny.lecompte

In this version, our vision was to allow EW to be managed alongside the other funcitonality in the switch.  But EW is a very new technology, so once it's adopted, if end users really want it separated, we'll certainly be guided by that input.

chris.lapoint

Yeah, I see what you're talking about now.  What was looking for is how to set the recurrence policies on interfaces in bulk.  Thanks!

Yes, EnergyWise config management is only available through the NCM integration module.  So, you'll need to use the Orion NPM "Manage Nodes" UI to select nodes/interfaces and select Manage EnergyWise from the More Actions drop-down.

I was wondering.  Was any thought given to having a seperate console for energywise management?  It's nice having these tools, and I appreciate that, but if there was a console or a web slice (or whatever you call it for Orion), where i could see or query any energywise functions, and configure or reconfigure them easily, that would be helpful.

You have a couple of options here:

1. You can navigate to the Network Configuration Manager link in the modules navigation bar and there you will see 4 tabs.  Click on the Configuration Management tab and select Execute Script.  From there, you can enter in EnergyWise queries and see the results.

2. The install of the NCM Server component actually installs a standalone NCM web console as well.   The same ability to Execute Script lives there as well.  You should be able to access via:   http://<NCM Server IP Address>:8888/   

I've only used this for about 4 hours, so I don't know how much weight my word has, but it seems a little...disjointed.  Setup of energywise can be done on each switch, but if you want to configure energywise you go to the monitoring system's node management screen to do NCM configuration?  Honestly, I didn't even think to look in there for any kind of configuration settings for anything except how to poll data from devices.

For EnergyWise, we wanted to ensure our capabilities tightly integrated so that a user could perform EnergyWise monitoring and configuration management from a single console and view everything through a single pane of glass.   

So is NPM essentially the workhorse of Orion?  I guess what i'm saying is if NPM will essentially be the hub where all other plugins are used.  It doesn't look like NCM has any new functionality on the website aside from a graphical overhaul (which looks great by the way).  If that is the case, it makes more sense.

Yes, our long term direction is leverage the Orion (NPM) web infrastructure as the basis for the standalone NCM console as well so we can deliver the notion of a single SolarWinds web console account and authorization model that can be leveraged by both products.  So, you're just seeing a step in this direction with this release and the updates to the NCM 5.5 integration module.

So that said, besides EnergyWise support, there were a number of new enhancements in 5.5 for existing NCM customers:

• NCM integration module enhancements
              • User can now access all operations available in the standalone NCM web console from the NPM website.    New tabs-based interface.
              • Support for account and view limitations – you can restrict which NPM nodes users can access and what views (e.g. Config Management, Compliance, Inventory, etc.) they can see in Orion
            • Scheduled config purge
              • Ability to setup a scheduled job to ensure you only have the last X configs for each device in the database
            • Reporting enhancements
              • Improved config change report layout for nightly config backup jobs (#3360) – this will be a big deal for existing customers
              • Ability to attached reports as a PDF to email notifications (in addition to embedded HTML reports)
            • Transfer enhancements
              • Ability to change the default Telnet and SSH ports used by NCM to perform config management operations
              • Ability to specify transfer protocol for execute script, transfer configs, and request configs separately.   Previously execute script and transfer configs were combined preventing use of TFTP for uploading and SSH/Telnet for script execution.
            • IPv6 support for config transfer and execute script operations via Telnet/SSH
              • NOTE: Inventory and TFTP operations over IPv6 will be made available in a future release
            • Platform Support
              • SQL 2008 support
              • Windows 2008 support
              • NOTE:  SQL 2000 is no longer supported
              damienball

All of your points make perfect sense.  I think i'm glad to see that you're going for a unified web console experience via NPM.  I know I dislike having to log into my Orion server to do ANYTHING and the more ability I have on the web console, the happier I am.  I use Orion via my cell phone and SSL VPN so it's easier for me to manipulate things through the web.  I think it's a great first step!