This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Negative WMI Counter Values

I just installed Orion 9.1 & APM 2.0 on a test server & have it monitoring some servers. After setting up 2 WMI counters (DiskWritesPersec & DiskReadsPersec) for a server, I'm seeing negative values in the MIN/MAX Average Statistic Data charts. The baseline is approx -30 with dips & spikes from that position.

Is this normal? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could explain what I'm missing as I haven't done much with WMI counters before.

Thanks,

Jody

• Hi Jody,

Indeed negative values do not make any sense for those counters :-).

I would recommend you to use the WMI explorer utility to check what values you get with it to compare with APM. If you get positive values then APM is the cause of the issue, if not then something is wrong on the server.

If something is wrong on the server you should try to reset the WMI Performance Counters to see if that help.

In the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem run these:

winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf

wmiadap.exe /f

If it still does'nt work - stop WMI service - delete all content of folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository and start service.

WMI Explorer:

Documentation: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/wmi/index.htm

Mirrors: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/downpage.htm

HTH,

Yann

• Hi Yann, thanks for the help.

I ran WMI Explorer against the drive instances I had setup in the APM monitor & it was pulling constant 0's when there was no activity, then relevant positive numbers when I was doing a large copy to that drive. Therefore, it's looking like it's an issue with the APM.

I'm not sure what to try next as I can't just restart an APM service, unless it's named something & I'm just not catching onto what it might be.

Any further help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jody