This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Transmit Discards; But Router Stats Show No Errors

Our Internet Cisco router is showing no interface errors, but Orion is showing interface transmit discard errors in the thousands. Shouldn't the counts match?

• jimm,

I believe that the Orion Transmit Discards show up under Total Output Drops, not under input or output errors when you do a show interface.

If that isn't what you are referring to, the only way I could think the counts wouldn't match is if someone did a clear count on the router during the day. The transmit discards will still show up in the graphs since it would be historical data.
  •  

You could query these discards yourself, below are a few methods:

(1)

I would suggest that you install and run a network sniffer

(such as wireshark which is a free download from thwack.com)
    on your Orion server.

You can filter for snmp packets coming from this device and

then drill into these packets to see exactly what is being returned from the
    device.

(2)

You could do a MIB Walk.

Check that IfOutDiscards are returning values.

These values will show you what the device is sending out &

help you verify Orion isn't reporting anything wrong.

(3)

If you have the Engineer's Toolset you can use the SNMP MIB Browser to see what
    values the device is reporting.

• Out discards are not errors, strictly speaking. Rather, they're an indication that the device on transmit was unable to enqueue an outbound frame (and, hence, discarded it.) It is an indication of bandwidth congestion. Transmit errors are enqueued or transmitted frames that got borked on the way out.

Also, note that average utilization is a bad indicator of peak utilization. You can have a very low average utilization (depending upon polling interval, general traffic usage of an interface, etc) but still have out discards if there's a spike of traffic greater than link speed + egress buffer

Will

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to willhepptemp

are the interfaces trunk lines? prune only neccassry vlans on the wire. some switches cannot handle 10 20 vlans. stp has to designate 1000 vmacs for every vlan. had same issue with discards errors 

• ok so I have a similar Issue. Our primary internet Line, a 100Mb MPLS connection on a cisco 3825, is generating about 2000 discards per hour. No errors. I can't see any reason why it is doing this. Anyone? 

• You know what, cancel that. I just remembered we had setup 2 policing policies on that router. It just occured to me that those are most likely the source of the discards.

• ok Cancel that Cancel, We turned off the two servers that we were policing and it is still generating the Discards. Now it's getting bad enough that while regular browsing isn't affected very often, large downloads, or sustained downloads stall out.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to nbjeter3

Packets dropped outbound due to QoS are also part of Output Drops(CISCO).

2000 an hour on 100Mbps and out of a large amount of packets shouldn't be hurting anything.  Show policy-map interface [interface name with QoS policy) and look for packet drops from your policy f any.

If the input speed of other interfaces on the router is higher than the 100Mbps MPLS than you may be queuing up packets to fast to go out the link.  Happens all the time when 100Mbps input feeds a DS3 out.  If that's the case you need to QoS important traffic so most of the drops become less important traffic, drop the input interface speeds, or upgrade the MPLS.

• Orion transmit discards correspond to output drops and  transmit errors correspond to output errors, both from the show interface command

• ok So in doing the show policy map interface command I am seeing the Bandwidth policies that are in place, but its not showing any dropped. I am seeing where it is showing exceded stats, and I would hope that it was dropping those, but not sure on that.