This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware serial numbers of Cisco devices?

Did I see mention of an upcoming feature to be able to obtain serial numbers from Cisco devices via Orion?  Is this on the radar?
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

That's an option for a future release, but it's not slated for the next version of Orion. 

• Chris

I've got a custom mib setup to display the serial number of our Cisco switches.

Jon

• Jon,

Excellent!  Is it uploaded to the Content Sharing Zone?  If not, attach to this thread? 

• Chris

I've uploaded it to the Content Zone

•  I can't agree to the download agreement.  Errors out:

thwack.com/.../download.aspx

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<CustomPollers>
    <CustomPoller UniqueName="Chassis_Serial_Number" Description="The serial number of the chassis. This MIB object  will return the chassis serial number for any  chassis that either a numeric or an alphanumeric  serial number is being used." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.2.19" MIB="CISCO-STACK-MIB:chassisSerialNumberString" SNMPGetType="GetNext" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Cisco" PollerType="S" Parser="Text" IncludeHistory="False" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="1" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0"/>
    <CustomPoller UniqueName="Cisco_Serial_Number" Description="The vendor-specific serial number string for the physical  entity. The preferred value is the serial number string  actually printed on the component itself (if present).   On the first instantiation of an physical entity , the value  of entPhysicalSerialNum associated with that entity is set  to the correct vendor-assigned serial number , if this  information is available to the agent. If a serial number  is unknown or non-existent , the entPhysicalSerialNum will be  set to a zero-length string instead.   Note that implementations which can correctly identify the  serial numbers of all installed physical entities do not  need to provide write access to the entPhysicalSerialNum  object. Agents which cannot provide non-volatile storage for  the entPhysicalSerialNum strings are not required to  implement write access for this object.   Not every physical component will have a serial number , or  even need one. Physical entities for which the associated  value of the entPhysicalIsFRU ob" OID="1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11" MIB="ENTITY-MIB:entPhysicalSerialNum" SNMPGetType="GetNext" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Cisco" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="False" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="1" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0"/>
    </CustomPollers>

• That's actually the custom MIB poller you're seeing there. You can "Save as..." the webpage to an XML file and import it. Or you could also manually add the poller yourself using the OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.2.19.
  • I am new to Orion, coming from a Nagios background. I have read through the Solarwinds help but I am struggling with this. I have just grabbed the OID out of the MIB to display the serial and would like to add it for all my Cisco devices in Solarwinds. I have created a customer poller and successfully tested it. I have set the MIB value to "Raw Value" and the Type to "Text". I have enabled it and assigned it to a test device. I can not see the value of this poller when I do a "Node Details" or "List Resources" in System Manager?

What am I doing wrong? Am I looking for the information in the wrong area?

Thanks in advance!

• I've re-added the Custom poller in a zip file so it should be OK.

• I am assuming that this only works for devices where the serial # is not specific to the chassis? In other words a lot of Cisco router / switches do not have the chassis serial number encoded anywhere on the device so there is nothing to read electronically just the sticker on the device.