This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can i Add AS/400 for Monitor by Orion?

Orion support AS400 and Can i add AS400 to monitor?

if can how i configure Orion and AS400?

• You can monitor AS/400 with Orion. We are montoring one of our boxes. All you have to do is enable SNMP on the AS/400 box and add it to NPM.

Regards

Sumesh

• Thank you for answer.

And when i set SNMP on AS400. add to NPM can't success.

Can you tell me how to configure SNMP on AS400 (v5r4)

Best Regards,

• There is a Red Book called "Introduction to IBM AS/400 SNMP Support. It's from November 1997 however and while it does offer you the information necessary to setup SNMP on the AS/400 it doesn't offer you any practical "current" information on setup for Network Monitoring Tools.

We have it "kind'a" monitoring 5 of our 9 AS/400s running v5r4m5 and Since Orion Only Supports SNMP v2c the AS/400s can only communicate with Orion on SNMP V1.0 as the AS/400 only support V1 and V2.

We have many issues with the setup and so far Orion Support has not resolved our problems.

- Carl

• onewhotypescode,

To clarify one of your assertions, Orion NPM does support monitoring devices using SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, and SNMPv3.

For more information about establishing monitoring for SNMP-enabled devices, see "Discovering and Adding Network Devices" in the Orion NPM Administrator Guide.

The Red Book you mentioned may be found here: "An Introduction to AS/400 SNMP Support," and it claims the following:

The book includes information on the configuration of the AS/400 SNMP support and provides examples of the use of an SNMP manager to retrieve SNMP management information from the AS/400. In showing this, the book not only shows how this can be done but also provides examples of the type of information made available to an SNMP manager when querying an AS/400 SNMP MIB. Those familiar with SNMP will find information included on the standard, IBM enterprise and Novell enterprise MIBs supported by the AS/400 SNMP agent.

What sorts of issues have you encountered?

• We have our AS-400 being monitored with no issues. Orion supports both SNMP V1, V2, and V3. I added mine in fine with V1 so you may have configured something wrong with your AS-400.

• Yes it does and it working fine for us. We just used the default snmp string "Public" with ours and it works fine for us on the Orion monitoring side. Let's see all the usage with the volumes and memory along with CPU usuage.

• Sorry, I didn't mean to state that Orion didn't support SNMP v1 or v3 only that According to IBM Rochester the AS400 only supports SNMPV2 and Orion only supports Version 2c. Rochester specifically stated that it doesn't support v2C.

-Carl

• In our environment we are not allowed to use/implement anything lower than SNMP v3 in production due to security concerns (DEV/QA is ok), so monitoring our Prod AS/400 via SNMP is not possible. Any other suggestions?